• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Steel vs. Aluminum dock

Finfinder

Question

My dad is getting a new dock this spring, he can get a 36' steel w/ an 8 foot patio deck on the end, it has two axels, $1600.
Or, a 32'aluminum w/ the patio, single axel,$2400.
I'm sure the aluminum would be better,lighter. Anyone have any tips or opinions on which to get?

9 answers to this question

In my opinion Aluminum and water mix much better than steel and water. Even if the steel is galvanized or painted, you have the risk or rust over the long haul. Buy aluminum and you won't be disappointed.

I would recommend a Hewitt.

[This message has been edited by Walleye Guy (edited 03-28-2004).]

If you go with steel, the only thing I would look for is to see if the wheels somewhat center balance the dock. It makes it very easy to put them in and out of water when they are set up this way. I can put in a 32 foot by myself with no problem. Have never had a problem with rust on the steel either. There isn't a whole lot of steel in the water when you think about it - just the axel and the support/leveling arms. If you don't want to spend the money on aluminum, I wouldn't hesitate getting steel.

If my dad had a steel dock, I would make sure I had to work on the weekend he planned on yanking it out of the lake.

We don't have a nice tapered lakeshore, but by no means a cliff either.

If it was steel, I am sure I would have a yearly chiropractor appointment when it goes in and when it comes out.

The way I see it, it all comes down to how it gets in and out of the lake. I can put my alum. roll-in in by myself but I use the ATV to pull it out. With steel I would think you'ld want an ATV both ways. If it's just two people go alum.

I take both in and out each year (neighbor). Aluminum is certainly lighter. But for the money, I like my steel one better. It "feels" sturdier, and I like the wood decking. I pull ours out with a rope attached to my truck. A 4-wheeler could probably do it. I push it in by hand in the spring, no problem. My opinion, get steel and buy yourself another toy with the money you saved!

Heck, I'm really confused because I've got one of each! 32' of each with an 8x8 on the ends. I bolt them together with a wood spacer to avoid the electolysis thing. Personally, I'd definitely go with the aluminum unless the cost was a real issue.

Craig

if money isnt an issue go with aluminum. if you your shore is flat and the bottom of the lake is hard and you have people to help pull it out..or a truck go for the steel. the only problem with steel (besides theweight) can be rust. By the way you can get aluminum with wood (portadock).

Aluminum all the way. Also if you can get the new composite inserts.These are the grey plastic looking ones. Mine is a Roll In manufactured in Hill City MN.(dealer is T&M Marine Grand Rapids) with the inserts. I have had it at least 5 years with no corrosion. As a word of caution and wisdom from experience, try to insist on stainless steel fasteners, (nuts,bolts,washers) with any dock or ddo this little item youself right away. You will thank your self years later.