• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water collection in tarp solution?

carlcmc

Question

I just purchased a pontoon boat. I bought a tarp to go over the top. Of course with rochester's rain last night the center was filled with 50 gallons of water which places a lot of stress on the sides as the tarp weighs down.

I'm thinking that there has to be some easy solution of some type of frame or something one can put under the tarp to tent it up and make the water drain away. Any thoughts or comments?

6 answers to this question

You're going to have a natural collection and stress point if you don't put support underneath. I've also seen where a PVC fitting is built into the center of the collection area and a hose hooked to the underside to take the water away. The top side had a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it extending about six inches to keep leaves and other things from plugging the drain.

Paul's suggestion is right. You just need to figure out what works best. You may need more than one 2x2 depending on boat size. I strategically place boat seats in the front and rear of boat to keep the proper drainage. Trial and error should get you the right combination of things that will keep the water draining off the boat. Isn't it fun dealing with a full tarp of water?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Before solving the situation, there must have been 50-100 gallons of water. Everything was pulled so tight I couldn't even get some of the straps undone. Luckily, I had it parked in my driveway which is angling down. I undid it enough to open the front gate under the tarp. Then I undid one side part way back to get some slack and it made a natural river bed for it to run along the tarp to the front and off.

We got home this evening and saw it was raining and I figured I better do something now or have to face the same situation in the morning. So I had this old piece of cedar 1*12 by about 4ft sitting in the garage. I got up under the tarp and put it there. We'll see how it is in the morning. I'll probably go out and check it before bed in an hour or 2.