• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2005 Deer Hunting Photo Contest

DeerHuntingPhotoContest.jpg

2005 FM Deer Hunting Photo Contest.

Post your BIG Buck Photos, small buck photos, doe photos, trail photos, your scenery shots, photos of your hunting party, GET CREATIVE! Show everyone that “We Have More Fun”. No “Party” Shots please.

There could be many categories photos will be placed in depending on the number of entries in those possible categories. A few categories that we have brainstormed are: Archery Deer Photo, Shotgun Deer Photo, Rifle Deer Photo, Muzzleloader Deer Photo, Youth Deer Photo <18 yrs old, Hunting Party Photo, Doe Photo, Trail Camera Photo, Strange Deer, etc, etc, etc.

Here are the general rules:

1) Tasteful: If you've taken the time to go hunting, make sure your photo is in good taste. Do not sit on the animal for the photo etc, use your judgment.

2) Display proper gun safety if the weapon is included in the shot.

3) Smile. Not required, but you probably won't get many votes if you look mad!

4) Please include the date of kill, weapon, score or whatever you think we would like to know. (Otherwise you know someone will ask “Hey, what did that deer go?”

5) 2005 Hunting Season Photos ONLY!

6) NO Photoshop!

7) 800 pixels Max on width for horizontal shots, 800 pixel Max on height for vertical shots.

Advice: Can’t take a picture if you don’t have your camera. Try to take your picture before the animal is dressed. Have an idea of how you want to pose you and your animal, refer to thousands of trophy photos on the web, find the ones you like and don’t like to make sure you duplicate the good and learn from the bad. Take multiple photos, you can’t go back and retake a photo. Take a few pictures at eye level with the hunter or even lower, this can make the animal look bigger and get more back ground in the shot for depth. Bring a tripod. Click here to view the contestants and here to view the winners Winners of the Turkey Hunting Photo Contest from this past spring.

Prizes will be posted at a later date…..stay tuned.

Having trouble submitting your photo, you can email it to [email protected] or mail a 4x6 photo to (be sure to include your FM Handle and your complete information don't worry your personal information will not be posted):

Art Barbarians

21360 John Milless Drive

Rogers, MN 55374

Have a safe and successful hunt!

Other Links:

Family Vacation/Outing Photo Contest

FM Photo Contest contestanst and results on Art Barbarians HSOforum

Family Vacation/Outing Photos on Art Barbarians HSOforum

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the deal with the prizes. There is the potential for many secondary contests here and we don't want to identify prizes until there are enough entries in that category to justify a prize. You can count on the prizes being great, we have a few prints already slotted for the contest. I can't believe no one has posted yet......trail photos, bow kills, does or whatever. You can't win if you don't post.

Hey everybody,

Relatively new to the forum, but I have some pictures from our annual Wyoming rifle hunt this year (October 2005), and figured I'd share them. Five of us went hunting and we ended up filling out with 3 mule deer, and 2 antelope, nothing big, but lots of fun as usual. The first photo is me, and my mulie, shot at 150 yds opening morning with a .270. My uncle Paul (wheelchair), shot his mulie the second day at 19 yds with a 7mm Mag. My father shot his mulie at 47 yds opening day with his 7mm Mag. Believe me it wasn't easy getting these old guys (jk) this close to these deer,the strong winds helped out a lot after hours of glassing/walking. Should've given them shotguns for as close as they ended up getting to the deer. The next photo is my brother with his antelope, shot second day at 115 yds, with a .243. The last photo is of my cousin with his antelope shot opening day at 312 yds, with a .243. Took me a while, but finally got the photos to an acceptable size.

kyle25mv.png

paul30vz.png

dag11oh.png

goatben4si.png

andy31ks.png

Great photos Dag! Looks like you had a great time.

You may want to size those down a bit. It makes it more difficult to see when you have to scroll up and down AND side to side.

I believe the rules above state 800 pixel max.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Use your cameras software to edit it down or your PCs image editing software something like paint. Set it to 72 dpi and change your pixel width to fit under the requirements.

Nice buck Dietz.

I can see you are going to give me a running for the smallest buck of '05. While I have not shot the little guy yet, I can almost guarantee it based on my past history of small bucks and the deer we find in our hunting area.

Did I mention that is a great photo as well!!

Anyone else have an archery buck or doe to enter yet?? If you need help with the photos, please e-mail me, I can help or post them for you if you'd like.

Congratulations on everyone’s success to this point!

Happy to announce the following prize to the contest……more to come.

thunderlg.jpg

A Signed and Numbered Limited Edition Print of “Autumn Thunder” by Scot Storm

Although Scot is talked about as an “Up and Comer” with last year's Federal Duck Stamp image.....to Art Barbarians and others he has been creating some of the BEST Wildlife and Sportsmen artwork around for quite a few years.

Click this link to see all of Scot's Work , even some pieces fresh of the easel. Two Images out of Art Barbarians top 10 images are by Scot. " La Grue Woodies " and " Weather the Storm ".

Scot has painted: Waterfowl, Upland Game, Big Game, Sporting Dogs, Coon Hunting Scenes, Floral, Shed Antlers, Morel Mushrooms, Numerous Wildlife and Habitat Stamps, Pheasants Forever Commissions, Ducks Unlimited Artist of the Year, Turkeys and More. Just look through his portfolio on the Art Barbarians HSOforum and I'm sure you will recognize many of his images!

There are going to be some great prizes added, keep checking back.

Also……

If you haven’t voted on the “ Family Vacation/Outing Contest ” click here to do so.

There is also an offer for a FREE 2006 Hautman Calendar click for details

Good luck this fall!

The Art Barbarians

On Thursday, October 27, 2005 I received a cell phone call from my cousin Andy at 7:30 in the morning. In a real soft voice he said, "What are you doing today?" "Working" I said. He said, "Well, do you think you can come and help me track a nice buck this morning?" "Heck yes" I said. Long story short we trailed this buck for about an hour through twists & turns. He is a very nice 10 pointer that went around 150 lbs. Andy was hunting the west metro area around the Lake Minnetonka area. Andy has been bow hunting for several years and this is the second buck he has shot. (First buck was a small fork horn). It was a thrill to be a part of the chase to track this one down. Of course, he owes me big-time for helping him drag it out. Congratulations Andy! andysdeerforwebsite6ew.jpg

Went out last night, 30 October, and this guy came out straight down wind of me at about 5:00pm. He was coming straight towards my stand heading to an area where i had very little cover between me and him, so i came to full draw a lil early, and ended up being stuck at full draw when he stopped at 9 yds to lick the rain off some corn stalks. After a few minutes of being at full draw he was standing in the same place, and my arms were burning! He finally moved into my lane, and i shot him at 6 yds! Came right to a scent wick i had hanging. He trotted off like i had missed, although he mule kicked after i released the arrow and i could see my lumenok glowing while sticking out of the dirt.I grunted at him, and he circled back towards me and bedded 30 yds to my west. It was getting dark when he got up and bedded in another lane, and i stuck him again just to make sure he didnt make his way into the corn, and that was it. Probably didnt need the 2nd arrow, but i didnt want to take the chance of him getting into the standing corn field and losing blood in the wet stalks.

Not the biggest buck in the area, but he'll do.

30octoberbuck0046vd.jpg

Wow! Wildlife artist Michael Sieve has been tracking the progress of this whitetail deer located right here in MN. This deer has been around for an estimated 5+ years, fueling the dreams of deer hunters for almost that Passing on this deer as a 1.5 year old makes this possible. If this isn't justification for passing on the yearling bucks and tagging a doe then I don't know what is.

An interesting note:

Mike passed on a different deer that looked like this deer's 3.5 yr photo. The deer walked right under his stand and stopped in a shooting lane only 10 yrds from his tree. He said if he wasn't after the Big Boy he wouldn't have thought twice about taking that fine deer.

Good Luck Mike .........this deer will look great in a painting

BigBoy11111343.jpg