• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inboard moters

Dano2

Question

I have an 87 bayliner, OMC cobra, 2.3 moter,
Never owned an inboard and was wondering if there are some Key things that I should keep an eye out for, or any does and donts.
I have only owned out boards so this is new to me.
I will be getting a service manuel for it, but I'm not so sure it will include operation.
thanks

4 answers to this question

Theres some many thing to mention that I'll just say get the manual thats specific to that motor and lower unit. It should have come with the boat when new. It'll cover all the maintenance for the motor and lower unit. Just do as it says and don't replace engine components for auto parts.
One of the main differences the IO has over an outboard is prepping it for winter. You'll drain the engine block and plenum's of and water. When done I always replace the plugs and fill the system up with anti freeze to protect the engine parts from rust and dilute any water that may be trapped. Along with greasing all the fittings theres a splined shaft you'll have to grease by pulling the lower unit out.

Aside from purging the engine compartment with the blower driving instructions would be the same as using a outboard with power trim and tilt. When taking off tuck (trim in) the lower unit in and as you plane out trim the L U up till you get the the right attitude on the bow. You should also be throttling down to your cruising speed as the bow levels off. What I'm saying here is you don't run "balls to the wall" or at least not if you want to your engine to last. Once you get to that point you can fine tune your lower unit by watching your speed and RPMs as you tweak the trim. After you've used the boat you'll get to know the sweet spot for optimal cruising for RPMs/speed and trim.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 03-22-2004).]

thanks for the input.
I wanted to get more of a fishen unit this time around, but the wife and kids liked this one, and the price was right, so looks like I'll be fishen from a speed boat again for awhile until I get my truck payed off, then I can get my dream fishen boat and get myself into more debt, HEH

what kind and size battery works best for this moter? seems like I'd need a bigger one than my last boat, this one has alot more gauges,pumps and other stuff I need to worry about.
thanks

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 03-23-2004).]