• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

setting up for rod building

rmh2o

Question

Im looking at setting up a area in my basement to build a few rods just as a hobby and looking for a few ideas.I want to start out simple and keep the cost down.I am thinking about building some of the equiptment myself and maybe buying some.What would you experts recommend?What equiptment would you recommend buying and what kind of equiptment have you built.Thanks

11 answers to this question

If you're not going to be making a whole lot of rods I don't think you need to be investing much. Purchasing a dryer is deinitely a good idea, the biggest time saver in rod building. Getting a decent lamp or heat gun or lamp is also a good idea to take bubbles out of freshy applied epoxy.

Everything else can be done effectively by hand. A cheap "bracket for wrapping can be made with a couple of 2X4 pieces nailed together into an X. Then you can use a phone book to get tension on your thread while putting the thread in a jar to keep it from moving around.

Some people tape their guides onto the blank but like to use cut up pieces of wrist-rocket band. I also put a few buck into using scalpal blades to cut my thread. Having an extremely sharp blade can make your life a lot easier when cutting thread on some decorative wraps.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence if an of this seems elementary, I just don't lknow what experience you already have.

good luck

smallies24 Im just a rookie I took a 2 day class last week and built a rod.We used the v blocks book and cup also.Now I want to set up a table in the basement so I can make a couple on my own.I dont want to spend a lot on this as it is only going to be a hobby.I am either going to make some v blocks or try to fab up a roller system and also want to make a dryer.Looks like a guy can make some of this stuff pretty easily.Just wondering what you guys use or have made.Thanks

I figured if I'm making a rod why not make the wrapping blocks and drying rack.
2 V-blocks mounted on a board with tensioner are easy to make. Make a third V-block for an adjustable blank end support.
I use a rotisserie motor for the drying rack. I custom paint lures so the rack doubles as a drying rack for them as well.
Right now the motor is mounted to my auto jigger for ice fishing. smile.gif

Go to rod-building dot org and check the link to photos, they have some pictures of what people have for equipment. Some or it is homemade and real elaborate. I just use some v block to hold the blank and stick the thread in a cup and run the line through a book for tension.

I did buy a drying rack for turning the rod while the thread finish sets up.

You should go see Gary's setup. I was there yesterday and finished my rod. His setup is pretty primitive but he makes some awesome rods. Just looking at his equipment, oes to show that you don't really need the best of the best to make quality rods.

Rmh2o, where did you take the 2-day class through? Was it Thorne Bros or some other place? I was thinking of building a custome stick as well and would like to find a class to get some help/info. Thanks.

FISHER ED I took the class thru Big Lake community ed.The instructor also does classes around the area and might have something coming up.

[This message has been edited by rmh2o (edited 03-31-2004).]