• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass rod

carlcmc

Question

Started doing a little bass fishing last summer and enjoyed. I am thinking about getting a setup for bass fishing. What type of rod and reel would you recommend for me? THanks for the info.

3 answers to this question

I have 2 of the Ugly Stick Lite Pros 6', and an Ugly Stick graphite 6.5' that I love. All set up with baitcasters. You can get the Lite Pros at Walmart pretty cheap. My brother tried one of mine an went and bought one the next day. For some reason I just can't fish with the long rods, and the tips on these just take a flick to get the lure out there, and they can haul in the monsters without breaking a sweat. If you want a good cheap rod, the Lite Pro is the ticket. You can step on the things and they won't break, not true of the graphite.
As for reels, If I had to buy a new one today, it'd be an Abu. The Quantums are good, but the drag isn't the greatest.
------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 03-20-2004).]

Started doing a little bass fishing last summer and enjoyed. I am thinking about getting a setup for bass fishing. What type of rod and reel would you recommend for me? THanks for the info.

Depends what type of cover you'll be fishing. I use a med st. croix spinning rod with a shiano reels and 10 lb test for most of my soft plastics and spinnerbaits, with a med-h casting outfit for my cranks and sometimes pads, but if youll be fishing milfoil and wild rice and pads and really thick stuff a lot of guys have heavy sticks with heavy line, and its needed if you are fishing real slop.