• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Hunters... How Is It Going So Far?

To all those that are beating the brush lately, just seeing how things have been going for you all...

Bear hunting is well underway... Any success stories?

Bow season for deer is a week old... Any monsters been arrowed?

How bout them quackers/honkers.... Ducks opened today in the north and goose season has been open... Any good wing shooting going on?

And those grouse... even though the numbers are down, there must be a few guys/gals out there hitting the woods..

So lets all share some stories and some good quality field photos. I hope everyone has a great season(s) this year, along with a safe one. Remember to take a kid hunting!!

Lets start with the bow hunting. Again I'm having no problem finding does, fawns and small bucks. I've let 4 bucks go with 2 of them still in velvet. Hopefully just a matter of time before the big guy shows. I've heard of 2 really big bucks taken during the week.

The opener for ducks was slow but was a good time with the kids out with us. This morning was what us duck hunters dream of. Wind, rain and lots of ducks. Flocks of 50 up to a couple hundred of greater bills were fooled by our spread. A push of bills that I haven't seen in years. We also had geese, redheads, mallards, and pintails. Even seen a snow goose. The only thing that would of made it better if we had taken the kids out today. We decide to leave the kids home today with the weather and being out yesterday.

So my season is off to a great start, its just good to be back in the woods and blind.

Randy..

Sounds like a good duck hunt there.. Always nice to see them birds drop into a spread!!! I will try to make it up there one of these days to do a little quacking!!!

No big deer as of yet around my parts. But a few nice bear have been taken. One in the Port Wing area that was over 500lbs.

Well, went out Saturday at noon of course and the ducks were flying but I pretty muck stunk up the place with my so called shooting. We went 0 for about 12 shocked.gif . I don't remember the last time I shot that bad but it was the first time I picked up the shot gun since last fall and without shooting any clays it was pretty ugly.

It was nice to see the different types of ducks flying this early in the season, just wish we could have got a few frown.gif. Well I will be out early on Saturday again and hope I can hone in on them alittle better.

Jar Jar

Jar, I still need to email ya, I've been so dang busy. Did you get out on Sunday. Man were there bluebills around. Were there alot of hunters on your end. The shooting will come back to ya. Seems it goes in streaks. I will be out thur, fri, sat, sun. Can't wait.

Did not get out on Sunday due to other obligations but I will be out on Saturday morn. Mt partner went and broke his hand last weekend so I think he is out for the seasonso I guess that means more birds for me grin.gif

Jar Jar

Randy... Still after them fishes!! One more trip back to Mille Lacs here next month and a lot of trips around these parts for those elusive muskellunges.. I am hoping to have a photo or two of a 50+ inch fish by the end of the season.... That's my goal anyways...

AH man, bad time of year to ding the hand. I'd be duck hunting with my feet grin.gif

Jim have you ever tried Lake Vermillion? I was on there with a gudie a couple of years ago in the end of Oct in a snow storm. We drew a blank but I went home and marked his milk run on my map. But I haven't been back since.

Fished Vermillion during the days I was a college student up in Ely... never fished for musky though... That lake is on my to do list for next year along with some canadian lakes... Not enough time man... I tell you... I need three of me just to keep up with the to do list... grin.gif

I hope to kick off my bow hunting season this weekend up at my cabin... I havn't had time to get up there at all since opener, there was quite a bit of movement on my land but not much for bucks.. mostly does and fawns.. and then zone 10 has no management tags/bonus tags.. Not sure if I will wait for big antlers or not.. may just harvest the first dry doe that comes threw too... I guess I will make that decision when the time happens.

Well personally haven't been out but my brother and friends have been having pretty good luck out on our land for bucks, last night for a twist they had a group of 6, yearling boar walk into a food plot, they took the one in my Avatar with a bow. Ended up dressing out at 90lbs. Should be more to come, I will keep you posted........

Ran, there actually are alot of them out there, about 5 yrs ago they burrowed out of a game farm. They believed that the harsh winter had taken them out but obviously that is not the reality. Last year there were a few taken but this year it is growing increasingly common. Friends of mine shining fields have seen groups of 15 or more at times this year. I have heard reports of them being in Brule, Maple, Iron River & Poplar. They are spreading pretty quick and have up to 3 litters a year between 8-13 sucklings at a time. The math adds up quickly and will probably start messing things up pretty soon. From my understanding the WI DNR wants them down so licenses are not necessary.

The forementioned one was shot in the honey hole with a bow but ended up just grazing the diaprahm, it ran about a 100yrds where it stopped to rest. When my Brother and Friends tracked it it reared and was ready to charge, they finished it off with a deer rifle between the eyes. The Larger ones would probably be pretty tough to take down by bow with the thickness of their skin.

I have yet to see them but my neighbor down the road said he had a small one in his yard one evening. This was the first time that I heard of them south of hwy 2, so from now on I will have my deer rifle ready just incase one pokes it's head out while the kids are in the yard. I don't need one going after my kids. I would love one for the rotissery grin.gif

jar jar

I'll start with duck hunting. Its been a hit and miss so far. One day theres ducks and geese all over then the next day theres nothing around. But we have had some good days with some nice mixed bags. One day were shooting puddlers and the next its divers. We saw a decent push of buffelheads, bills, redheads with some cans and goldeneyes during the week. Right now I'm putting out about 100 dekes with a tight group with a long tail. Decoying some big flocks.

I've put in a little time for grouse without much luck. My bow hunting has been a little frustrating. I was seeing small bucks in the early part of season. Now for the last 7 times out its been nothing but does. Tonight I had 7 does and 2 fawns come in and not one buck. You would think there would be a buck around these does this time of year. I've been scouting looking for new spots, boy its getting hard to find places to hunt. Any one else having a hard time finding bucks or bigger bucks? All in all having a good time this fall hunting.

Got me a small doe on wednesday night, seen her when I was walking to the stand with two other does and a very nice buck, couldnt tell ya how big as all I seen was his rack and flag hit the woods as i came over the hill. I was out tonight hitting the true talker and had one come in behind me without me hearing or seeing, I had what must have been a younger buck out in front of me and was grunting back so I figured id grab the bow just in case it was something nice, well as I grabbed for the bow 10 yards behind me the deer that came in unannounced hightailed it, head to the ground. I been seeing deer every time out and only one positive buck sighting.

I forgot to mention I took my first coyote with a bow this season and I got a grouse tonight with the bow. Now I just need to get the joker to show himself.

jack, sounds like only a matter of time you'll have the big guy in there.