• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a new reel....

jegerjack

Question

I am looking for a new bait casting reel for Pike and Muskie. I would like to stay under 150, but I do not want to get a cheap model that will cause too much backlash. I have a Abu spinning reel that I enjoy quite a bit, how do the casting reels stand up. Any other opinions? I have an older Shimano caster but I am afraid she has seen her last days and I do not want to spend all of the money in my piggy bank on a new one.

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

14 answers to this question

jeger, I'd second the abu garcia line. I have a 18 year old 6000 (I believe that's the number, not 6500) works like a charm and I've casted 5 million times with it for muskies with heavy baits.

By the way, I've caught more fish, mostly big crappies with my sons Lion King Combo, than any of my expensive rigs. 4'6" rod terrible reel, twisted line. It's a great unit. Wouldn't work too well with bottom bouncers or anything but it's a winner!

check out the pleuger baitcaters very nice smooth and resonably priced for the quality..check out the new scheels in st. cloud some great reels at there new reel counter and very afforable prices..the reel counter has over 100 reels to check out not to mention a great selection of graphs and minnkota motors best ive seen in state so far...WOW

I tried the snoopy reel but I found that the tip of the rod was too stiff, I kept pulling the hook right out of the fish's mouth. I contacted the fishing pro at Peanuts Fishing Inc., Linus, he told me that I might want to loosen up my drag. I did that and it worked, but now that I am no longer 5 I think I might try to up grade to a Mickey Mouse rod and reel.... What do you think?

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Cabelas does make some decent reels. I wouldn't be afraid one bit to go with a Abu Garcia 6500 C3 or C4 (C4 has a faster gear ratio). I've run them for years and they are still kicking. Plus you have to like the price.

I'm an amatuer when it comes to baitcasters and have very little experience using them compared to a spinning reel. Two years back I picked up a Shimano Calcutta and really like the way it performs. I don't use it all that often so I'm not really sure I can give you an honest opinion about its ability to take abuse day in and day out. Is it really worth the $160 it cost? Thats a tough call being I've owned very few baitcasters, but I have to say its performed well thus far.

I've always heard nothing but great things about the ABU line of reels from many folks, especially the c-3 and c-4 series.

There's a diminishing point of return on reels after "X" amount of $$. Is $160 or thereabouts where this point begins for baitcasters? Anyone?

Stephen

I would suggest a reel that has a large line capacity to accomadate the bigger lines like the Garcias. Others that you might want to check out are Cabela's Prodigy, and look thru bps catalog. Muskie guru Pete Mania has his own signature reel that has 4.2 and 5.2 gear ratios. I don't think you can go wrong with any shimano either.