• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a metro area hunting partner

Hello all. I geuss you can call me a lurker here on the board as I read it all of the time, just never post. I thought I would give it a try. I am looking for a hunting buddy to do some duck hunting with. I have been in Minnesota for a few years now and I haven't found a steady partner(s). I typically go in the metro area by myself...which is fine...although it would be nice to meet up with some other folks who enjoy it as much as I do.

I have a canoe (Bought some shadow grass and looking to make a blind this weekend, couple dozen decoys, and time to go on the weekends with an occasional weekday/night snuck in. If anyone out there has an extra seat in their boat or wants to get up early and hop in my canoe, e-mail me. FYI-I live in New Hope. [email protected]

I'd be more than happy to tag along with ya. I'm kinda knew to duck hunting I started out last year with a couple of friends but they didn't get out as much as I would of liked and I ended up going out alone most of the time. Which was alright by me cause it forced me to learn "quick", but it sometimes got a little lonely. PLus there's always something you can learn from someone else. I live in Red Wing and there are some spots around here that we could go if you wanted to venture this way. If not I could come to you. Shoot me an e-mail at: [email protected]

I'm always looking for new ground and it would be great to share spots with someone.

quick

If you are up to traveling a little you could tag along with me.

I live in shakopee, I have a field for goose hunting that is 7 miles from my place.

For ducks I like to get out of the metro. We hunt mainly in SW MN(Good spots where we wont see another person) but I have a few spots close to home.(one being a HONEY HOLE)

I usually hunt with a few different people but we are always open to have new guys join us.

Hit my e-mail a let me know a little about yourself.

[email protected]

I have been burned before when I have done this so I just like to know a little about you if you have any intrest.

Shik-

I do some hunting around here in the wma's in the southwest metro, if you guys go out i would be more than willing to hook up with you guys and contribute, i got everything needed..decoys, dog, and if you are going to boat in i have my own otter and a 10' aluminum jon.

[email protected]

KOdiak and Jblabs you have mail.

Jblabs, I don't know if you remember me, but we were gonna try to hunt last year and I missed you guys by an hour cause it was daylight savings weekend. Anyway, I'd like to try it again if you're up for it.

I actually just recently purchased a Remington 870. I'd have to get a different barrel for it since it is mainly used for home-defense. (I got the Express with just the 18.5" barrel)

I love to fish... but would like to broaden my outdoor skills and begin hunting. If I can pick up another barrel (and get some practice in) I'd love to go out sometime.

[email protected]

reefrunner-

i was going to go down to the dnr office in shakopee with my primm map and have them show me where i can go and ask them where the he!L they put the regulations for the wpa's? i also have found a couple spots that i think are a possiblity. I will fill you in.

I also live in the metro and do a lot of hunting a reasonable distance away. I am always looking for decent hunting partners..

My definition of decent..

#1 SAFE ... I dont want a shotgun pointed at me, or to feel in danger, or be muzzle-blasted if ever reasonably avoidable(I think we can all relate to this).. and also uses common sense.. a hunting partner should have to be rescued every trip as they sink up to their nose in the floating bog.

#2 Organized within reason... I get disorganized from time to time.. but the guy who takes 6 dry boxes, 3 guns, 4 lanyards of calls with 5 calls on each, 4 duffle bags with who knows what, and 2 dogs that they yell at all day that dont get birds anyway(but will retrieve a lily pad?)... your still welcome to call.. but leave the excess gear and the dogs at home... its frustrating when people cant quit messing with things and getting untangled in the boat.. ultimately scaring birds, and turning hunting into a babysitting trip... We had an issue wit this last year.. recoil unit broke on motor and myself and another partner paddled in heavy winds to get where we had to be.. the tangled up pack rat decided it was his best interest to just go through his junk in the darkness and not help... thats just not right... The hunt was saved.. got to the spot and through the dekes.. I got the motor working during the hunt to get off the lake after.. but there were some hard feelings that day... especially once we got to hunting and he was still all disorganized.. standing up, shaking his calls loose.. wading into the decoys constantly to try to change something(nothing was wrong).. bird would only fly when he was messing with something.. needless to say, it wasnt good experiences with that person.

#3 Good hunting ethics.. we are all out there to have a good time.. not looking for the hot dog that brings 5 boxes of 3 1/2" shells and starts shooting at everything when they are not coming closer than 100 yards...

When I am in my boat with anyone else.. it turns into a team.. there is no *lead hunter* issues or anything like that.. if I want that, I will hire, or become a guide. Everyone pulls their own weight and everyone enjoys themselves. If I see something that I am uncomfortable with, I will say something before it comes to be an issue... as I would expect someone else to if there was a safety, or common sense situation. In the end, if its my boat, its my responsibility to say something if there is a problem.. as would it be for someone else to say something if I was sitting in their boat. Most hunters are very responsible.. but nobody is perfect.

In the end, I dont really care if people are new hunters, or 30 year veterans.. I enjoy the company.

I have a 16' duck boat that drafts very shallow.. plenty of room for 3 people, all the gear, and a dog comfortably. I have some puddler decoys.. will stock back up on divers when needed. My dog is retired due to a front shoulder injury.. so if you have a dog that knows what to do and is not a huge hand full.. its welcome, but not neccessary.

I hunt all over... anywhere within 50 miles of the inner metro and I do have some good spots, but I am always open to more.

If this doesnt seem unreasonable to people in need of partners.. send me an email if interested. My 1st 4 days are tied up as of now.. from there.. I'll be hunting somewhere.

[email protected] and I will give you more contact info if you want it.

Quote:

how far south will you come. I have some good spots around nicollet

It wouldnt be an every day thing.. but I could see stopping around here and there depending where the birds are flying... I'm not rich either.. thats another advantage of having partners in many situations.. easier for people to throw a couple bucks into one vehicle for gas vs 3 full size trucks... hmm.. do I want to spend $5 for gas today, or $25 for gas to go to the same place?

Like I said.. I wouldnt be there every day.. but I dont hunt some areas between here and there also.. can always meet when the time is right?

I'll be pretty busy with work for the next three weeks, but after that I would enjoy searching for ducks with somebody. I have a few friends that fish and hunt, but nobody does any waterfowling. I got out once last year. Other than that, I'm a rookie. Have a canoe, pretty well trained golden retriever, waders and a dozen decoys. I should be able to get out a little after Oct. 20th. If the pheasants are as plentiful as they say, I will be chasing roosters quite a bit this fall. You can shoot me an email at [email protected] I will probably shoot a few of you emails in a few weeks if thats O.K.