• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mounting a depthfinder to trolling motor

Question

I just got a new bow mount power drive minn kota trolling motor that doesn't have the transducer built in so I need some advice on how to wire one. I have the connection for the bottom, but I am just not sure how to run the transducer wire to the unit. Do you just leave it loose?
Thanks!!

5 answers to this question

I use several cable ties and some electrical tape to keep the transducer wire where I want it.

Attach the transducer to the bottom of the trolling motor with the appropriate sized hose clamp.

Run the plug through the rectangular hole in the trolling motor bracket. (The piece you pull up on when getting the motor into the water.

On the top piece of the rectangular whole, run 2 cable ties over one another so they form a hole that the transducer wire will run through. Don't tighten them up too much or the transducer wire will not slide well.

Near the top of the shaft near the top of the motor tightly wrap a cable tie. Just above that loosely run a cable tie with the transducer wire running between the shaft and the cable tie. Use electical tape if neccessary to keep the tightly wrapped and the looser cable tie in position. Make sure that the looser tie is not too tight or the cable will not slide freely between it and the shaft.

On the transducer cord above the last loose cable tie tightly wrap another cable tie. This one is to prevent too much slack cord between the transducer and the top cable ties.

Trip all cable ties accordingly.

That is the best I can explain my technique.

You do not want loose tranducer cable near your prop.

You have to leave it loose for a PD motor. I ran the ducer cable through a small handle on the end of the pivoting base. It's worked good as it was the only option, really. I then lightly wrapped the cable around something in the boat for the proper length. I don't know if the new model PD's have the same thing as my older models???

I used electrical tape on the motor head to secure the cable away from the prop and to reduce the stress if it ever snags on anything.

I used wire ties. This leaves them loose enough for the cord to slide a little. Attach on the bottom, run the cable up the shaft and attach every foot or so with cable strap, and once more right below the power head. Let the rest of the cord "free float" over the base and into the outlet. I think vexilar's HSOforum show this.

Before I got the universal transducer, I used to make loops with zip ties. Unfortunately you have to leave the cable loose. Be carefull, especially when turning. I would reccomend that you purchase a trolling motor mount. (the hose clamp type) They work well.