• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When using Hot spot maps how do you?

Fishbitten

Question

6 answers to this question

Your last digit is zero.example :47.26.25 it would be 46.26.250 another would be 47.26.05 it would be 47.26.050. the last digit on a 7# value will be 0 (zero) when there is a 6# digit coordinates

Just my 2 pennies before anyone gets lost.
First you need to check and see what format your GPS unit is using. The most widely used are DM & DMS. DM is degrees and minutes, and DMS is degrees, minutes & seconds. It's not a matter of adding a zero to the end of the number if you're using DM. You have to check and see what the number format is. DM should look like 47 26.123 and DMS would look like 47 26'25.0
You can switch between formats on most GPS units, and it automatically converts the coordinates. I believe the hot spot maps are in the DMS format. So if your GPS is running DM and you want to enter a DMS coordinate, you have to take the last number and divide it by 60 seconds. So 47 26 .25 in DMS would actually be 47 26.004 in DM.
Also, make sure you're reading the map right. The number you put in your post shouldn't be .26 .25. It is probably 26 .25
It's not just a matter of adding zeros sometimes, and the periods are important.

Hope that helps.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 03-14-2004).]

Just didn't want the guy ending up in wisconsin trying to find a hole on Winnibigosh. grin.gif I noticed the decimal before the 26 on his post, & there shouldn't be a decimal there. A decimal in that position wouldn't be a full minute, so that # would go back to 25, and the fraction would be added to the seconds. I had a friend that got a Winnie map and couldn't figure out why he could never find anything because all his coordinates were in DM, and the map was in DMS.
I like the fact that on the lakemaster software you can choose either format, so it takes the guesswork out.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 03-15-2004).]