• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Rods

danny berg

Question

I have been hearing about new rods that have the line running through the rod blank itself, so there are no guides to worry about. Has anybody had any experience with these, are they a better rod or are there more problems with this type of rod.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

I have an 8'6" for trolling cranks and its sweet. No guides to mess with and line slides right off the end. Have not had a problem with filling up with cotton or junk so for. I have not used one for casting and such but I hear they cast a mile.

My fiance has had the Diawia Pro-Cast rod for three seasons now. She thought it "looked cool" so SHE bought it. I was a little scepticle, but she wanted to put down her own money. It is a 6'0" model and it casts like crazy. She can outcast me with her Shimano Spirex spooled with 6/14 Fireline. It really seems to work well. No problems at all from getting clogged up. She uses it for everything from sunnies to muskies and has caught both with it. Actually is a very neat concept and works very well. I would recommend one if you are thinking about it.

Hey Danny Berg,
I was just at Cabela's yesterday. I know you said you were cheap on the rods but I saw a fenwick (orig $200) on sale at the outlet for $89. I almost bought this but already had two new rods for this spring. I did pick up a Shimano Symetre for 59.99, orig. 79.99(I found out this price was the same at both the outlet and main store). Keep an eye out at the outlet, you might be surpised as to what you can find.

Going to Cabela's tomorrow, and am going to check out their version of the rod. 50 bucks is a lot, I am pretty much a cheaspskate when it come to rods. I think reels are much more important. I have never broke a rod but have had a million reel problems.