• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

open bow suggestions

danny berg

Question

I just bought a Bow mount motor, now I need ideas on how to attach a removable platform to my open bow and mount the motor. I want to be able to take the platform and motor off in the fall while duck hunting.
FYI: the boat is a 1974 16' mirrorcraft

Thanks in advance.

Danny

3 answers to this question

I did the same thing for years.
I took a 3/4" piece of treated plywood, cut it to fit on top and flush with my gunwall, covered it with marine carpet and used stainless screws (6 is enough to do the trick) to attach it.
Duck season came along, undid the screws and lifted the entire unit, motor and platform, off of the boat. Next spring, just line up the holes, screw it back in and your ready to go.
6 small holes does nothing to hurt the strength of your boat, and it's really easy to do.
Good Luck.

Something that we have done for similar requests is to use bolts and wing nuts (provided that you can access the underside of the gunwhale). This way you have the peace of mind of not ever having to worry about the motor taking a dive into the water if the screw holes ever get stripped out from being screwed in and out each year.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com