• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance IFinder Pro

RussDaBuss

Question

Hello All.. Anyone have one of these gps units? I am thinking of getting one by spring. I am going to be primarily using it for fishing. I would appreciate any goods and bads for it. Is it worth paying the extra for the plus unit which comes with the mapping software and the media card??? Any help???

10 answers to this question

If you read the features you will see it comes with a "water proof pouch", this means the unit is not water proof and if you do not mind operating it in the pouch it may be fine. My I-finder got wet and does not work now, I would get a water proof unit.

I like Lowrance products but am looking at garmin hand helds.

Gofishleech

I have the I Finder which is a nice unit, but now that I have had this for a while I wish I would have spent the other money and got the PRO. The PRO has more memory and holds better maps, whereas the I Finder can't hold the better maps.

Thanks for the info so far guys. Not sure if the plus is worth it. When they say you can create maps, are they talking lake maps or more for driving in a vehicle??? If I go with an Ifinder, I definatly will go with at least the PRO.... Thanks

The lowrance infinders are water-resistant, not completely waterproof, meaning if it rains on it it should be ok but if you submerge it then you might be in trouble, still by far the best unit for the money, great detail on the base map, Russ the software will enable you to take a specific area that you want to download, the more memory you have the bigger area you can download. The more things that you decide to put on your downloaded map the more memory it take up, things like points of interest, hunting, camping, boatramps, baitshops etc. This software will not give you lake depth contours but it will show everything much more details and acurately. It will show all the points and bays that the base map doesn't. You can always buy the software seperately later if you decide you want it, it runs about $100. The infinders have exspandable memory if you ever want more memory for downloading, (MMC) cards AJ

Yeah, I'm looking at buying a new GPS, and have done some research. The i-Finder Pro appears to be one of the best units, particularly for the money, and would hands-down be the best...except for the fact that it is not waterproof (sorry, the 'waterproof pouch' just doesn't quite cut it).

As a result, I am trying to decide between the Magellan SportTrak Pro and the i-Finder Pro. The i-Finder Pro really does look like a good unit...if only it was waterproof, my choice would be easy...

The ifinder pro rocks. To the best of my knowledge it's the only handheld compatible with Navionics MMC cards. The mapping software that comes with the "pro plus" is easy to use to import and export waypoints.

Lowrance will be releasing a waterproof version later this spring, the "ifinder pro H2O"

the pro has more pixils and more memory, the built in base map in both unit are pretty much the same. The infinder plus is nice if you want the software you get the card for free. The software will give you more detail on the map, allow you to customize it yourself. I think the pro comes with a 12 volt adapter which usually runs $20.

NOT WATER PROOF!!!!!!!!!!

talk!!!!!! THAT IS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS JUST PLANNING ON ORDERING ONE OF THESE UNTIL I HEARD THIS.

THE PREVIOUS MODELS HAVE BEEN WATER PROOF. WHY DID THEY CHANGE????????????

I'M NOT DROPPING $200 (PLUS) ON AN ELECTRONIC DEVICE THAT CAN'T HANDLE THE ELEMENTS, WHERE IT IS THE ELEMENTS THAT YOU NEED IT IN!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

I really like the looks of the iFinder, so I went to the Lowrance HSOforum to look into the H2O version. They say that it will be available 'late spring'; I e-mailed the company to ask about a release date, and they responsed that 'they hope to have it out by May'.

Looking at their 'product comparison' feature, the H2O appears to be the same as the Pro version.

I might just have to wait until May...might not have it for the opener, though.