• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

81 Evinrude

1Yogi

Question

I have an 81 Evinrude 15hp. It hasn't been run since 84 or 85. What needs to be done to get it running? My first thoughts are clean the carb and replace fuel pump and fuel lines. Anything else? Are there seals that dry rot elsewhere?

------------------
Commom sense isn't

3 answers to this question

You are in for more than you bargain. Any motor sitting for that long without lube, is going to need a thorough check before I'd be caught dead out in the middle of a lake with it. I'd be more concerned about the internals(ie. bearings being froze) than I would the externals. Any rubber seal that's been sitting that long is probably very brittle, especially if it's ever been exposed to petrolium products. If you can't do it yourself, I'd suggest bringing it in and having a good once over. I guess if I was doing it myself, I'd find a manual, and take one of the rod caps off to see what 1 bearing looks like, then go from there.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

The water pumps impeller should be changed for sure. Theres a short hose from the carb to a fitting that your main fuel line connects to, check it for cracks. Check you gas hose and primer bulb for cracks and loose connections. Drain any gas in the tank and look for rust in the bottom. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the plugs and lube the cylinders before you start her up. Use a few squirts of mixed gas for that. Being stored for that long always brings the possibility of pitting on internal parts but in my opinion an early 80's 15 hp isn't worth a tear down to find out.
The carb and fuel pump may or may not need to be cleaned and new diaphrams installed. You'll find out when you start it up.

I agree with you Surface, except I would at least take the time to dig as deep as I could without too much trouble. I wouldn't want to get out in the middle of a lake to have the thing lock up on me and leave me rowing. I've seen first hand what a motor that's been sitting that long can do. shocked.gif
My advice, whatever you do Yogi, make sure you have a fire extinguisher with you at least the first couple of times out.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!