• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

four stroke question

gilby

Question

Are the carberated four strokes more maintenanc than a EFI four stroke.I keep hearing that you have to have them adjusted yearly to keep them running, is this true or just a sales pitch.

3 answers to this question

Gilby I have a 2000 , 50 hp Honda had the 20 hour maintance done on it and haven't had nothing done for the last 2 years except I change the motor oil, filter and lower unit oil each fall, runs and trolls fine.

Snowfighter, I am looking at buying a 40 horse four stroke for my boat. What kind of hole shot do you have with your 50 horse. I"m thinking if I can get just as good performance with a carberated four stroke and a better deal than with a EFI, I would maybe go that route.

Hey Gilby,
just thought I'd offer my thoughts here. I have 2000 Merc 40hp/4 stroke / 3 cyl / 3 carb on my boat. The motor itself only requires the same maintenance as an EFI, oil changes, lower unit oil , filters, etc. Having carburetors in itself does not require more maintenence, but carburetors can be affected more by dirt and fuel varnishing. Proper winterization is a must!! Because of this, carburetors, most likely at some time, will require an overhaul, cleaning and synchronization to continue to perform properly. This can be costly to pay someone to do. This makes the fuel system perhaps a little more critical an issue. EFI engines can be affected by the same fuel demons as a carbureted engine. But, EFI motors also have more sophisticated engine management systems, which monitor such things as engine load, temperature, rpm, throttle angle, etc. An ECU (computer)
then uses this information to make adjustments to ignition timing and fuel delivery. This helps make the EFI typically more fuel efficient, smoother idling, better throttle response and easier starting.
I will say this, in defense of my Merc, I never believed a carbureted outboard could run so well. If I didn't tell you you would never know. And in 2000, small EFI motors were relatively new. Anyway, right now, in 2004, if I were buying a new 4 stroke, I personally would go EFI. If I were considering used, I would not be afraid of a carbureted motor, provided it has been well maintained, so you don't buy someone elses neglect, and have to pour a bunch of money into it right away to get it to run well.
Holeshot advantage , probably EFI.
Good luck,
Don

------------------
people who fish live longer.

[This message has been edited by Angler Don (edited 03-07-2004).]