• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crankbaits tie direct or snap clip?

iowaboy

Question

Hello...I was hoping for some imput on weather it's better to tie onto a crankbait directly or to use a snap clip or durlock. I planning on using planer boards with this application so what would work best.

Thanks in advance Todd.

4 answers to this question

I use a snap, no swivel. I run a lot of #5 Shad Raps, so I try to use the smallest duolocks I can get my hands on. I think it actually helps with the action of the lure and it's great changing baits, especially at night. I buy the premium duolocks from Cabela's by the 100.

Good Luck,
MJ

I run planer boards and flat lines a lot, and I like speed clips better than any other snap. I use them 90%+ of the time when I troll. You can find them on bass pro's HSOforum if you search for speed clip -- I haven't found them too many other places.

Naming them speed clips is misleading, as they can be a real bi*** to open and close. But once you get the hang of it they work great.

A common misperception is that snaps or clips will hurt the action of the bait. These do NOT hurt the action -- in fact, if you were tying your line directly to the bait these clips could improve the action (depending on the knot you used to tie direct). These speed clips are very light and are round where they attach to the eye of the bait. If you use these speed clips and your crankbait has a split ring in the eye, take the split ring off.

Hope this helps. Good luck.