• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris 700 EFI ATV vs. John Deere Gator HPX

NewPanfisher

Question

I'm in the market for either a new 4 wheel drive ATV, or possibly the new John Deere Gator HPX 4 wheel drive model. I would probably be able to use the Gator for more things year round. What I would like to know is if anyone has used either of these models this year for Ice Fishing, and if they could give me a little input about what might be good or poor about either one.
Thanks,

------------------
Panfisher

2 answers to this question

Ive never seen the John Deere, but it may not be legal to ride on state trails. If that is a concern, would be something to look into. Also being that the efi is new on the Polaris atv you may want to wait awhile and see how they hold up, always seems to be a few qwirks with something brand new

I'm not authorized to move this topic to the ATV Forum. You may get more replies in there.

The Gator HPX is not an ATV and isn't allowed on the designated ATV trail; it weighs 1300 pounds. It does ride nicer than the Gator but it only has a few inches of suspension at each corner, so the ride is still bumpy. It can haul the weigh though, if that's what you're after.

If carrying a passenger is needed and you still want to ride designated ATV trails, maybe look at one of the "2-up" machines on the market; one Arctic Cat and several class sizes by Bombardier.

You really can't compare an ATV to a Utility Vehicle. To haul loads, an ATV can tow a sizable trailer quite easily, too.