• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Insurance???

MNUser

Question

Question for you people. Who do you have insurance through and what are you paying if you don't mind me asking. I'm looking at changing if need be.

Mine is through Farmers and for one year it costs $221.00. This is on a 2001 Lund Explorer 1675 with a 90 Mercury.

I just got a 2004 Lund Explorer with a 115 Johnson 4-stroke. I know it will go up but not sure how much yet. May have to shop around.

Anybody want to share?

9 answers to this question

Do you have all your policies (home, vehicles, etc.) with Farmers? Without knowing the specifics, I'd say that was pretty average. I've been with Farmers for a long time and have been happy with the coverage and prices.

I have all my insurance with State Farm. I just got a notice the other day. $345 to inusure my ProV, they list the boat coverage of $27,000 and trailer $2000 so that's about $12 per thousand dollars of coverage which also cover the liability coverage. $250 decuctible. Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by leechlake (edited 03-01-2004).]

I too have insurance questions. My boat is covered under a rider on my house insurance, so I can't give you an exact price. I also can't tell you exactly how much coverage I have and what is covered, but that is going to change. I do know that I have good liability, which I feel is most important. Do most of you have replacement cost or "book" value? I recently rebuilt my late 70's Lund from the ground up so book value means nothing.

What about those of you with campers. My agent (American Family) recently asked if I want to lower my coverage. He said I would not get any more than book value ($1790) for the camper. My camper is around 12 years old I paid around $5500 for it and it (to me) is worth very nearly what I paid for it. It is in near new condition. Can a person get replacement coverage and how much do you have to pay?

i have my boat ins. with state farm. my house and cars are covered under grinell. state farm was a better price. i went with what i thought the value of my boat is. boat value $10500, with $2000 extra for equipement and 100 deduct. $200. grinell was about $30 more. some of the companies, like state farm, give you a discount if you have taken a boating safety course. del

Like OLE1855, I am also an insurance agent. What he says is right on. I would strongly suggest having your home and boat, or ATV, or snowmobile, or pwc on seperate policies. We have people come in every week looking for insurance because they were cancelled because of claims on their policies. Also, the coverage on a stand alone policy is usually more comprehensive in it coverages and covers more types of claims.

Just one more FREE piece of advice for anyone that insures their boat as an endorsment of their homeowners policy. Everyone knows how the homeowners policies have been going up,up,up.... well if you have your boat covered as an endorsement of your homeowners policy and you make a claim on the boat, for whatever reason, that will go against your homeowners policy as a claim. As everyone knows when you make claims you generally can expect to have your premiums go up. One other thing, if you ever had a gas or oil spill that the EPA was to fine you for, your homeowners will not cover that.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 03-02-2004).]

I just recieved a letter from farmers insurance. It says they are discontinuing that policy in minnesota and my coverage will end in may. They are offering another policy for twice as much money now.I was paying about 100 dollars a year. Now it will be 202 year. I sold the boat and dont need insurance now but if I buy again i'll have to shop around.