• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

x-15 or x-18

Question

14 answers to this question

Better readablity is not more defined. The different colors just make it easier to distinguish different items on the screen. The 18 was not recomended for use in the open when it first came out. Difficult to see in bright sun, now I don't know if they've fixed that or not. It's persoanl preference, I like the LCD. I guess the total package for color would be the 19, but at $1800 a guy really needs to use it to make it pay.

I believe, and this is echoed by Lowrnace staff, that the colored unit provided better readability and therefore better overall picture detail. Pixels aren't everything. Take a look at Cabelas or Gander Mtn when the units are side by side. You'll see a remarkable difference. I compared the same uits you are and went with the color after complete comparison..

Pixel count isn't everything. The Lowrance 104c and the x-19 have the same pixel count. The x19 is sharper but with the 10.5" diagonal screen the 104c is fantastic. I have a 104c and an x-15. Both are great. If you can afford color get it. So much easier to interpret. Both the sonar and the GPS. With the ability to download firmware updates the color unit you buy today will not be significantly outdated for "IMO" ten years. I got my 104c on hsolist for $1950 new. No tax. Full warrenty. You do the math.

[This message has been edited by gizmoguy (edited 03-02-2004).]

Otis, Check out another site that's called walleye central and go under the forums section and search for Monochrome Vs. Color. There is a lot of debate on this same subject, and the pro's will give you all the info you need to decide for yourself. Lot's of good info on this with hard facts. Chris, before you nuke this post, I'll tell you I'm not debating your comment that greater Pixel count = more definition in theory, I'm stating that it's the # shades of grey and what you can see Vs. the # shades of color. If you can't determine or distinguish the difference in detail, the extra pixels might not help.

TMan

That's also what I mean about the readability, but the colors were hard to see in direct sunlight when the LCD is easier to see. I also wanted to be kind about the ability to truly read a depth finder. Some people have no clue what they are looking at. The colors make that easier. Myself I'd rather have the pixals in an LCD so I can read a fish's fart at 20ft.

I just purchased the 18c at the sports show last night. I was debating the same question, 15mt or the 18c. I attended a seminar on boat electronics by In-Fisherman’s “Electronics Doc”, Bill Diedrich last week and than saw him working at the Lowrance booth at the show yesterday. After speaking to him (and others) I decided on getting the 18c for the color. True, there are less pixels, but there will be times when the color of the 18c can tell you if that is a fish or a rock on the bottom where a 15mt just can’t. It is also easier to pick up differnces at a glance. The 18c screen is also easier to see from an angle than the 15mt.

When it comes to the 15mt vs. the 18c, Bill said it just depends if it is worth it to you to pay the extra $400. Since they only wanted an extra $100 for color at Thorne Brothers and Reeds, I went with the 18c.

Everyone I spoke to told me the 19c has a terrible screen to read in the sunlight.

Good Luck with your decision!!

Fish Head

[This message has been edited by Fish Head (edited 03-03-2004).]

My problem with color is you the user are not interpreting anything. Its all done with software and displayed in different color. Theres just to many changing circumstances, conditions and scenarios that can't be determined with a preset color scheme. I do see how color would be appealing to many users. I think the high resolution monochrome is a plus for advanced sonar users and will continue to make you better.
If your still running around with your sounder set to auto with fish ID then both units are more then you need.

Hi All
I am not trying to hyjack this post.but i have read bits and pieces about a fishfinder made by Genetron.Suposed to be a highend sonar that uses a crt instead of lcd or ttf.Any body have any info on these?If so do you have a compareson to the LCX 19.The only thing i have read is that you can see them in any light!But with a crt they must be big and bulky!

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

Try Too Fish, Ive been enjoying high resolution for the past 18 years. I have an Interpahse and a Coden that use Video/CRT screens. If you wanted a high resolution display they were your only option. Technology has come a long way with the LCDs and LCRs and they can now give you a high pixel count per sq ". Downside to the CRTs is they take up a lot of room, they draw a lot of amps and not they're good in direct sun.

Surface Tension
Thanks for the reply.I have never seen one in action.I would have to believe that they are hard to see in direct sun,after all a TV is imposable to see if the sun is shining on the screen.But Genetron claims they are the most visible in direct sun of many on the market!
I never thought of the draw, but makes sense.crts take juice!
I am leaning to getting a LC X19 so would appreciate all feedback concerning them!

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)