• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Four stroke weight issues

Norsky

Question

I have crestliner 1650 fish hawk with a 50 horse yamaha four stroke on it. I want to go up to a 90 horse Suzuki four stroke but that motor weighs 416 lbs! My yamaha now is 231 lbs. Just wondering if anyone has this 90 horse four stroke motor on this same boat or knows anyone that does?? Is the extra weight an issue? The max HP is 90 for the 1650 fish hawk.

[This message has been edited by Norsky (edited 02-29-2004).]

10 answers to this question

Norsky,this past July I purchased a 75hp 4-stroke tiller for a 1992 1775 Lund Pro-V. The motor weighs about 350lbs. The book shows that a 90hp weighs exactly the same weight. Oh. by the way, it is a Yamaha. I took off a 70hp 2 stroke Yamaha. Hope this helps.

I strongly recommend checking with the boat manufacturer. I have a smaller boat that I put a 4 stroke motor on (at just below the rated max HP) and I ended up with some small fractures in the transom. I talked with Alumacraft and they told me that when that particular boat was designed, the max HP rating did not consider the weight of the 4-stroke engines that are now available. They suggested bringing it into a shop and getting the transom reinforced and re-braced. This is a small boat, so these issues may not exist for a larger boat such as yours, but personally I recommend talking to the manufacturer and finding out if that weight/powe combination is acceptable.

I have crestliner 1650 fish hawk with a 50 horse yamaha four stroke on it. I want to go up to a 90 horse Suzuki four stroke but that motor weighs 416 lbs! My yamaha now is 231 lbs. Just wondering if anyone has this 90 horse four stroke motor on this same boat or knows anyone that does?? Is the extra weight an issue? The max HP is 90 for the 1650 fish hawk.

[This message has been edited by Norsky (edited 02-29-2004).]

Norsky is right it weighs 416 pounds, I looked at the online manual. Norsky, the above post about reinforcement is a good question, I'd ask at least two people, make sure one isn't the company you're buying the motor from. Best bet would be to call the boat manufacturer and ask them. Regarding speed, when I take my 120 pound kicker off my Prov I get a couple more mph's that's it. I'd go for it, especially if the boat maker okays the weight. Good luck, go fast.

I called Crestliner and one of the engineers said that they had figured the weight of the four stroke into the max hp ratings for this boat. He said it shouldn't be a problem but doesn't know of anyone that has the 1650 fish hawk with the 90 horse four stroke. I think I will probably just try it, if I go with the yamaha it will be 370 lbs which is only 140 lbs more than my current 50 horse. Hopefully she'll do around 45 mph, maybe more.