• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance LCX-15mt - Confused & Frustrated

Fish Head

Question

I have been looking into buying a gps and fishfinder. All I seem to do is get more and more confused. I have seen the Lowrance LCX-15mt anywhere from $1100 to $585. Obviously There are some big differnces I am missing here. Fleet Farm has one in the box that says dual frequency on it for $585. What am I not understanding?

I think the units around $1000+ include the software for the GPS maps? But even without that the prices seem to vary alot. By the way- do I want MapCreate or Navionics or both? Or something different? I fish mainly MN Lakes.

I get so frustrated because everything seems to be greek to me. Can anyone give me some straight advice?

16 answers to this question

I just bought that unit for my new Explorer. The cheaper price is for just the sonar unit and not the GPS "puck". Both will set you back 839.00 at Reeds Sports in Walker. That is the sonar and GPS.

The lake maps are extra. You can get Gull Lake, Mille Lacs, White Bear Lake and Leech in 1' contours. There are a bunch of lakes on the 3' contour chip. All the information is on the lakemaps.com HSOforum. They sell for 200.00 each. I have both and the Gull Lake one is priceless. I can't even begin to tell you the number of fish we have caught as a result of the detail. Trolling has takin on a whole new meaning!

I have a LMS240 before this unit. The same just a bigger screen and the abvility to hold two cards.

Hope this helps!

50 and 200 Khz Frequency for the transducer.

Unless you fish the great lakes or lakes over 200 feet deep, you will not need the 50 Khz option. I have the 200 only with GPS. I paid 900 installed when I bought my boat.

Reeds will be the cheapest. The x-15 is a great item.

[This message has been edited by vikes40for60 (edited 02-26-2004).]

Thanks for all the help guys!! So what I want is a combo unit that has both the GPS and Fishfinder and I do not need the dual frequency. Believe it or not, I’m not nearly as confused. Maybe there’s hope for me yet?

It seems like everyone likes there LCX-15. Thanks again!

Fishhead, it is confusing. Here's something to think about, not to make it more difficult. I got a Globalmap for the gps features and a separate sonar unit for the fishfinding etc. Obviously it costs a bit more but you get the full screen for each and you need to do the math but it may not cost much more, I may be incorrect but you understand the benefit of full screens for both gps and sonar. You also need to make sure they will both fit properly in your space, I have a wraparound windshield on my PROV and even though both units fit nice (X-87 and 6" globalmap) some thought had to be put in to make them work right since the gps was much bigger. Not to confuse the issue just another option, albeit probably costlier, but what the hecks money when you're trying to catch a 16 inch Walleye!

By the way, Reeds would be my recommendation too, knowledge for your questions and great price (if we keep pumping Reeds, Jeff surely will come through with supporting us at FM, right??? Especially with the great info on the Leech Lake area...???)

[This message has been edited by leechlake (edited 02-26-2004).]

Good point LeechLake. I have debated this myself. I have no windshield on my counsel and will easily fit 2 units. However, due to the extra money I am leaning towards the LCX-15. I also like the big 7” screen on the LCX-15 but I am still debating this. Anything less than a 7” screen I feel is too small to split.

The fishfinder unit I would like to get is the Vexilar Edge ($700). But couple that with an additional GPS unit ($400) and now its getting out of my price range.

HERE IS A QUESTION- Would I be better off getting the Lowrance X-135 fishfinder (5” screen with 480x480 resolution) and a Lowrance Globalmap 4800 GPS (also 5” screen with 480x480 resolution)? These cost approx $400 each and together would be about the same price as the LCX-15 combo fishfinder/GPS with a 7” screen. Anyone out there knowledgeable with these units have an opinion??

Again, I appreciate the help!!

[This message has been edited by Fish Head (edited 02-27-2004).]

Fishhead I'm not kowlagable on the X15,but I decided to go with 2 seperate units for this reason. If you have both in one unit and it fails, your without a sonar and gps. I could easyly handle being without one or the other but not both. Both of my units are the 5" but the 7" would be nice. Maybe it's not that bad to have one unit if the customer service is good, but I haven't had to test it yet.

Fishhead ,that's my point, with the split screen you have 3.5 inches (7 divided by 2) with the 5 inchers you have 5 inches. Remember, you'll have to pay (or do yourself) two installs. I like the 2 unit idea, especially if they cost the same or about the same. also, and this is really important, it looks cooler, a good point when you are out there not catching fish! Impress your fellow anglers, especially when the livewell is empty.