• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eskimo Power Ice Auger problems?

TommyGun715

Question

I bought an 8" Mako in Dec '03. After drilling 15-20 holes, the auger seemed to cut very slow. The manual says not to apply pressure when drilling. Once I get to the bottom of the ice, it has a hard time punching through, and the auger is hard to handle. Seems to early to have dull blades. Is there something defective with this thing? Anyone else have similar problems?

3 answers to this question

We have softer ice now. In Dec you may have not had any slush on the ice but now we do. The shaving are wet and they bog down the auger. Clean out the hole as you drill by lifting the auger as it spins.
20 holes aren't many holes but it doesn't take much to dull a blade and 1 nick will make for slow drilling.

Make sure that your auger is good and warmed up and don't let the water freeze on the blades it's heavy and will deffinetly bog it down, eskimo makes a blade sharpener that you can place in your pocket that will sharpen straight and those wicked serated blades, a few passes with that and you should be good as new especially if you have only drilled 20 or so holes

------------------
FISH OR GO HOME

tommy , yes there is a problem if it is a turbo cut blade. had the same trouble ,mine made snowcone powder right out of the box. you can either go back to where you bought it or call eskimo. i'll warn ya though they're kind da slow, i got tired of waiting and went and bought a strikemaster. good luck