• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

90 vs 115 Trolling Speed

CabinBoy

Question

I'm hoping somebody can share information about this subject.

I'm ready to purchase a '04 Explorer 1700 with either a 115 Johnson 4-stroke or a 90 Johnson 4-stroke. What I'm trying to decide is what the trolling speeds will be for the two motors. I went to the Suzuki HSOforum and read that the 115 will go down to about 2.3mph. The 90 will go down to about 1.3mph. The data was for fiber boats.

Does anybody have a set up close to this that can share some results they have? The boat weight comes in at 1080 pounds. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm not a speed freak so this is not important. I see myself having this boat for a while and wil have kids and adults who will want to ski behind it.

Thanks for any insights you may have.

4 answers to this question

Have a 1700 explorer with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke.. Love the power for pulling tubers and can pull 2 skiers no problem. Dealer wanted me to put on a 90 but went with the 115 cause it was injected. As for trolling down..ok for cranks but can run too fast for live bait rigs...I need to get a set of wave wackers to keep the water from coming in when back trolling. Alot of weight in the back..

I'm hoping somebody can share information about this subject.

I'm ready to purchase a '04 Explorer 1700 with either a 115 Johnson 4-stroke or a 90 Johnson 4-stroke. What I'm trying to decide is what the trolling speeds will be for the two motors. I went to the Suzuki HSOforum and read that the 115 will go down to about 2.3mph. The 90 will go down to about 1.3mph. The data was for fiber boats.

Does anybody have a set up close to this that can share some results they have? The boat weight comes in at 1080 pounds. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm not a speed freak so this is not important. I see myself having this boat for a while and wil have kids and adults who will want to ski behind it.

Thanks for any insights you may have.

I have the same boat with a 115. I was out last weekend on Lake Superior trolling any where from 1 mph to 2.5 mph without any problem. The motor ran like a top. I would choose the 115 over the 90. Good Luck

Thanks for the info. I signed the papers:

04 1700 Explorer
04 115 Johnson
65/60" Minn with Sonar and Co-Pilot
2400' trailer with break away tongue
Interior lighting
Vinyl floor with snap in
VHF radio
24 volt
Lowrance x15 (gps/sonar)

Come on Spring! I pick the boat up in a couple of weeks.

I spoke with a guy who gets his down to 1.3 trolling. Plenty slow for me.

Thanks again for the info.