• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? on lines & rods

hulk

Question

I've a couple of rods that are close to 20 years old, one is a Loomis IM6 & the other a Cabela's fish Eagle graphite, I've always used mono, either Trilene/MagnaThin or Stren,
I've thought about trying out some of the "low stretgh" but I don't really have a good idea of whats out there, or how its used, back when some of this new line came out, I heard there where problems with it cutting into line guides and some companies advised against using it, also you had
to use some kind of glue for tying the knots
if these are still issues, I'm O.K. doing what I've been doing, but I would'nt mine giving some of the new stuff a try, hate to ruin a rod experimenting with stuff I don't know much about, anyone have any thoughts or ideas/suggestions on the subject I would appreciate hearing "em"

Thanks,
j

10 answers to this question

I have used Fireline on a 1986 Fenwick for the last few years with no effect on the guides.

I don't think you can group all of the superlines together in a blanket statement. Some are braids, some are fused. I am not sure which is easiest on guides.

I use power pro pretty much all the time now. I started out with fireline and then I was told to try power pro. I love the stuff, power pro has to be close to the best line out there, IMO.
Always tie them with a palomer knot, then you wont have any problems.

That's what I'm talking about. He asked about older rods. Yes, the new rods are better and it isn't as much of a concern. But, I wouldn't say that a rod from ten years ago could handle the new line without any concern. Maybe the top end rods of yesterday, but the average rod couldn't.

thanks, for the input, I think I'll stay with the mono on the older rods, and maybe start looking at something new for the collection, a nice shiney St.Croix perhaps

thanks,
j