• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable flashers / graphs

climbmda

Question

I am wondering what people have tried for portable systems. I'm wanting something to use in the canoe. I fish the Minneapolis lakes in the summer, as well as some BWCA trips. I've used my vex in Minneapolis, but don't like to portage it up north. It usually means an extra trip, plus I need to carry extra batteries.

Who has tried the SmartCast, Piranha, etc.

How have they worked for you?

I want to keep the $$ down, so I'm really curious as to how the SmrtCast functions. I'm concerned about a 90 degree cone in deep water. Seems like it would be tough to pinpint anything.

All opinions appreciated.

5 answers to this question

I've seen the smartcast in action in several different types of situations and it's a piece of junk. The concept is good, just not technologically there yet. If you have any wind/ waves at all it offers up skipped readings on the display. I've also seen it used in a very heated ice shack, and again it doesn't work well.