• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking at power augers...your thoughts?

Doonbuggy

Question

Thinking about getting my first power auger (thinking slightly used); the 15yr old hand auger isn't fun when the ice is 24"+.

Have done a little looking at jiffys and strikemasters.

I believe a 2hp / 8" hole would work best for me - going for panfish in my portable, tip-ups outside kind of outfit.

I am not one to drill 50 holes in a day, maybe work a couple of spots and drill ten holes or so.

Jiffy vs. Strikemaster?
Weight issues?
2hp vs 3hp?
8" vs. 9" vs 10"?

I like that Strikemaster is in Big Lake. Where is Jiffy? Local service available?

I appreciate the replies. With all the ice I figure if I get one I can still get in a month's worth of fishing.

Thank you.

DB

11 answers to this question

I would go with a 2 hp ... 3's just weigh too much.. and so does the price tag. An 8" hole is more than sufficient in most all situations... larger is more of a conveineince than anything.

Everyone has their preferences.. I prefer a 8"-9" hole.. but I landed my largest walleye through the ice in a 6" hole which was a 32", 11 lb fish...

All augers are pretty good these days.. I stick to strikemaster because the exceptional service I have received in the past... not to mention the augers are excellent and have treated me, and many others I know well.

I hate to tell you something that wasn't mentioned in your post, but take a look at the Eskimo Shark 8". There is no better more reliable engine out there than a Eskimo Shark, IMO. Its based on a chainsaw engine too, thats a plus.

But if you didnt want that I'd go with a StrikeMaster ultra (only comes in 9") or a SM lazer mag express 8". They have seemed to work for me in the past.

The only thing I like better between the 2 is the motor really. The Eskimo will start cold in 2 pulls and a StrikeMaster wont. On the Eskimo Shark the gas cap is better, it has a covered muffler, it has a primer & choke, and the handle bars are steel so they wont break as easy as the StrikeMasters.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

If you can find a used Tanaka 8", you will probably have the best auger that you can buy. It is the predecessor to the Nils Master, with a 30cc engine. It is the easiest starting and maintained unit that you can probably find. I have had mine for 18 years, and up to this point, I have only had to change the plug, and redo the carb.

if your'e not drilling to many holes , look at the lazer with the battery pack on top[new this year]. my friend has been using one at url this winter and really likes it. they have drilled up to 15 holes in a day. pros no gas to spill or deal with and quiet . if i didn't drill so many holes i would consider it.

If you go with a 10" cut get a 3 horse. It will last a lot longer. If your going anything else go with the 2 horse. All the augers made are good. I prefer a chipper blade so I went with Jiffy. I dont have problems with sand or other debry in the ice. If you cut in real clean ice all the time try the shaving blades. Wether its Jiffy, Strikemaster or Eskimo they are all good.
I do agree that the best auger out there is the Nils Master but boy is it big $.

In all reality it comes down to what kind of blade you like. Chipper blades don't ice up as easy and last longer but are slower, while the razor style blades (strikemaster) are faster cutting but dull quicker and ice up more. Another thing to think about is that the 2-horse enginges that are fairly new are don't have the emissions regulations that the 3-horse ones do. What does this mean? It means that the 2-horse is going to run a little better because it doesn't have the emissions equipment and weird tuning done to it. I have to say all the brands of augers run well and are decent it is just up to you what power engine and blade style you want.
><>deadeye