• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck Tire Opinions

MrBig

Question

I'm looking for my 3rd set of tires for my '96 Tahoe. I've run BF Goodrich Long Trails both times and I've got about 65,000 - 70,000 out of both sets. I'll probably go with them again, unless someone has better options. There's a Kelly SUV tire that will save me about $70 for the set, so does anyone have those? I'll probably keep the truck for another 2 years. Also, it seems like Discount Tire is about the cheapest and did me well for trailer tires, so any other tire store advice would be appreciated.

25 answers to this question

If you are a member check out Sam's Club (if you aren't a member but know a member go with them), I put 4 BF Goodrich Long Trails 265/70R/16 on my cherokee for about $340 and my dad put the same tires on his Durango only larger something like 31x10.5's for about $110 a peice. And the mounting is pretty cheap also.

RU

Thanks for the Sam's club tip. I think one of the relatives is a member. I found out that the Fleet Farm Bridgestone Dueler AT is the standard tire (Treadwear of 300). So now that doesn't sound like such a great deal.

If you want a more aggressive tire for that SUV, check out BF Goodrich All Terrain tires. I put on 30" tires on my old Ranger that went over 60,000 miles before I sold the truck. They will be on my F150 soon.

I have had multiple sets of the michelin truck tires that sears sells. I have been very pleased. I thought they were better on ice and snow than the BF's I had. They come with a 50,000 mile warranty. Good luck in your purchase.

MrBig,
I have a 2001 Yukon XL that I'm going to be in need of tires for soon and I haven't decided either. I have a 1991 Toyota 4Runner that my daughter drives, it's got 300,000 mi. on it and I'm only on my 3rd set of tires. The tires I've had on there are Bridgestone Desert Dualers AT, 31x10.5's, the first set I got 114,000 on the second set I got 112,000. I don't know if these would be a good choice for the larger, heavier, Yukon XL or not, anyone have an opinion?

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 02-18-2004).]

I've always liked General. I think I put over 90,000 on the original set that came with the Silverado extended cab. I'm running mud and snow from Fleet now and like them. The Suburban has Firestones. I'd been big on Firestone in the past but their reputation has gone down with the most recent problems on Explorers.

Discount Tire seems to have good deals. They don't charge a fortune for mounting like Tires Plus, Firestone and Sears who want $25 a tire.

Thanks guys. I just called Fleet Farm and they have a Bridgestone Dualer AT for $99.95 with free mounting and balancing thru Feb 21st. Maybe they're the same tire that Ole mentioned? I think it's the same tire that Firestone quoted me at $148/tire. So I'll probably do that.

Fleet Farm doesn't give you hazzard repairs and rotations. I might check with Discount Tire to see if they match prices and include those things.

Good Time Ranger,
What size tire did you put on your Tahoe? The reason I ask is, a friend of mine put 285/75R16 on his Yukon XL and if you turn the wheels all the way to the right or left they rub.

I'm thinking about 275/75R16 for my Yukon XL.

Ole

I would definitely go with BFGoodrich All-Terrains. I had them on my Ford Ranger and they were great. When I bought my GMC Sierra, I was eagerly waiting for the day to put them on there too. Compared to the Bridgestone tires, they cost alot more and if cost is an issue, they're probably not the right tire to put on. They are pretty incredible tires in the snow.

I do have 285/75r16s on the Sierra. I have the factory fender flares with no mudflaps and I have never had them rub but the clearance is pretty close. You couldn't go bigger than a 285 w/o a lift.

I had very good luck with the Kelly tires from Discount tire a few years back on a suburban... I cant remember the exact *tire name* but they were not the least aggressive, nor the super aggressive mud tire.. but the one * in between *. I was running 285/70 R 16's.. they sound huge, but are actually about the same height as the 235/75, but about 1 1/2 time the width.

The traction, ride, and handling I had with those tires was incredible... the braking on slippery surfaces was improved the most over any tire I have ever used.

The price tag for a set was a hair over $500 after mounting and tax was over... cheap for *good* 16" tires.

I'd second Cooper tires - Cooper Discover.

A friend was on a recent hunting trip in Montana and after 3 flat tires on Montana backroads walked into a local tire shop to get a new set. The local said the only truck tire he'd sell him was the Discover or he'd be fixing more tires in a day or 2.

I like the Cooper Discoverer as well. I bought 4 of 'em 265/75/R16 for about $97/tire (including installation) at a dealer here in Duluth. Very good quality and durability.

[This message has been edited by cashcrews (edited 02-19-2004).]

The BFG all terrain is a fantastic tire. It wears very well on full size trucks, and works great in all types of terrain. Another thing that will help no matter what brand of tire you chose, is siping. It actually increases the tire surface area, causing little groves for added traction, and helps the tire run cooler, aiding in longevity. It generally only costs $10/tire. Well worth the $40.

I just bought a new set of tires this winter and did a lot of research and ended up with Nokian Vatiivas and I love them. They also have another good one out there called the Hakkapeliitta 10LT. I would encourage you to check them out. Nokian has always had great reviews but you don't hear about them alot because they are from Sweden but are in the states and Minnesota. Many areas that have snow use them. BF is a good tire and I believe that Nokians are just as good or even better. They are also a lot cheaper.
My last pair were the Bridgestone Dualer AT's and they were good for the first year and a half and then I hated them. I know that they came out with the Revo and it is suppose to be better but from what I found out the Nokian topped them.

Check into the Nokian. Good luck!

Goodyear MTR. Driving through snow up to the bumper in my F-150 was just like having chains on!!! Drive all over the lakes, and pull Chevs & Dodges out of trouble!!! Mileage is immaterial to me, just to have the traction and pulling power makes them worthwhile, regardless of price.

To have the best type of tire in the snow you want narrow and tall.As said above you can have the tires cut which helps also. tread patterns do make a difference . i look for tires that will clean out easy in the snow. i used to run two sets of tires, one summer set and one winter set.Most will wear out fast on pavement or start " cupping".. i am now running the cooper 30inch x 9.5 inch, they do seem to be a good compromise. the absoult best tire for snow i ever had was the BF Goodrich 33 inch x 9.5 inch Mud TA radial.every 4x4 i have owned has also been set up to run in the snow.You can have the best tire and if you dont have your truck set up right it wont go thru the snow well . have you ever noticed that your front end(getting a bite) is doing more of the pulling than the rearend(slipping) is pushing? the reason is the weight. all the weight is in the front of a truck for the most part with the motor and cab. Best weight for me is a 1/4"x4'x8' sheet of steel diamond plate which spreads the weight more evenly and i dont lose any space. grin.gif .now i have pretty close to equal weight on the rearend as in the frontend and they work togeather better.

Be careful I just bought 4 goodyear wrangler TDs from wallmart (LT 265/75R16).The tires were $118.00 each with tax sould have been about $500. After they charge you for mounting and balancing, new valve stems which most places have included in the price and some dump warranty that Im sire i'll never use the bill was well over $600. Although I did put the tires to the test on Red last weekend and the did work great, and four an aggressive tire they are fairly quiet on the highway.

Any idea if the Wrangler's are quieter or better than the Goodrich Long Trail's? Sam's club stock both, with the Wrangler's being $3.00 more/tire. I think they quoted me $96.?? for the Long Trails. I've been happy with them, so no problem doing those again. Either way, it looks like Sam's Club is the way for me. They include road hazzard and rotations like the other guys.