• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opti-Max

robby

Question

5 answers to this question

Opti-max are availabe in 75 and 90 hp also. Not sure of if they are available right now but if not, will be soon. Have heard that the 115 runs really nice, but have not had chance to run one yet. If you can find one I would say get it.

The new opti's now are much quieter than when they first came out. You can hear the water stream from the motor over the engine noise. This motor will also be more fuel efficient and faster. If I were in the market for a new motor, I'd go this route. For what it's worth.

The fist genertaion of OPTI's in the 200-225 had many, many, many, many problems. Blown powerheads, fuel and oil issue are just a couple of the problems.

Mercury is a "marketing genius" and they spin their message well. FYI, Mercury Marine just spent $100 million dollars to introduce there NEW product line, the "Verado". This is 4-Stroke Technology.

Considering they are spending that kind of money on 4 strokes, wouldnt you find it wise to look at those as well.

The 135 and 150 Optimax's have been pretty bulletproof from what I have read. So one woudl guess that the lower HPs also woudl follow suit. However with the problems with the ealry OPTIs and their direction change to 4 Stroke Technology would have me questioning their 2-Strokes.

kjgmh is correct... the 75 and 90 hp Merc optimaxes are available this year (new for 04... someone correct me if I'm wrong on the year). Based on everything I've read and heard (which is limited) it sounds like it runs and operates well... as they are so new though there isn't a lot of units in the field, so it's tough to get a real good report on them... at least till some get some hours on them...

The bigger engines sure do run nice though.. and sound even nicer!

I would have to agree with iffwalleyes though... I would definitely consider a 4 stroke in the HP range you refer to... the 4 strokes have come a long ways in the last 5 years!

Good Luck!

marine_man