• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line Winder for Spinning Reels

Diago

Question

Hi Guys:

I have never found a line winder for spinning reels that will not put a twist on your line. Has anyone had any luck with any of the ones available without going to a expensive professional model? Thanks for the help!

Jim

7 answers to this question

I've also reeled it right off the spool. That's all I do now.

I thread it through the rod and down to the reel, cranking a dozen times while pinching the line tight just above the reel to spool it under tension, then lowering the rod tip toward the spool to get slack line after reeling the dozen or so turns. If it kinks up like crazy, I flip the spool so the line comes off from the other direction, and that eliminates most twist. I usually have to experiment a bit with which way works the best, but it generally works OK for me.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Lay the spool flat with label up then count 5 to 10 revolutions of the line coming off the filler spool.If there is any twist rotate the filler spool in the direction of the twist the same number of revolutions,and flip the spool to the other side.Start spooling.
One thing that will always give you a twist is putting too much tension on the line when spooling.You want just enough tension so that it lays flat on your reel.
When all else fails....Drag it behind the boat!

That boat trick is a good reminder, Dennis. grin.gif

And if you're stuck doing it in the hard-water season, you can usually untwist the first 100 feet or so by letting it out in a breeze on the ice, walking upwind 100 feet or more, then reeling the line back, keeping a little tension on it, and letting it bounce along the ice/snow. It'll straighten out that way.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Soak the line in water overnight before you spool it up, that seems to help. For spooling spining reels I found an adjustable pipe plug in a tool supply catalog. It has a neoprene gasket that fits into a pipe (or the back of a spool), then you tighten a thumb screw to hold it in place. Put the plug on the spool, stick the plugs screw in a drill, put the line on a pencil held in a vice and start spooling.

Sent an e-mail with instructions, could probably find locally as well. For anyone else interested, find McMaster-Carr on-line, in their catalog search type Test Plug. I use the low profile for end of pipe plugs, product 2645K _ _ on page 1847, others may work just as well.