• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

repaire advice

mark n

Question

I have a Fish Trap Guide portable, (blue). The other day while staring at my LX3, a strong gust of wind pushed the fabric into my sunflower heater. Before I could react it burned a hole about the size or a playing card. what are my repair options? (Duct tape will be my last resort).

as always, thanks for the help.

------------------
Mark

7 answers to this question

Just like you said I used duct tape on a hole that size. Worked great, it's been there for 2 years and not coming loose at all. I heated everything up with a hair dryer and then put it in place from both sides. It was a quick easy fix but so far I need not even think about more repair.

Brian

The iron on patches work well just take something to back the hole with a chunk of plywood or a piece of heavy cardboard grab an iron and have at it. Or if you have a piece of the fabric or some canvas most hardware stores sell canvas glue and you use the same process take and heat up the area around the repair have a backer board apply the glue to the patch fabric I take a piece of parchment paper and apply it over the patch so as not to get the wifes iron plate all full of glue which if it were to happen would prove to be detrimental to my longevity

I have the older version, the Trap II, which has canvas, not the newer Ice Armor fabric. I've had great luck fastening patches with the hot melt glue and glue gun that Mrs. Catfish uses for crafts. You just melt the glue along the seams on the inside and outside of where the patch contacts the tent. Holds great and doesn't mind flexing. My travel cover is Ice Armor, however, and I've had just as good luck patching it that way.

I've also used the self-adhesive patches you can get in sewing stores. They work for about two seasons, then start peeling off due to moisture buildup inside the shelter.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-15-2004).]

Yeh, bubba. That old canvas isn't too strong, especially when things ice up and get all stiff. I started by stitching tears back up with thread, which worked OK but took a long time.

I've got red, black, white and blue self-adhesive patches on the inside (wanted only blue, but they come in packs with all those colors, and I didn't want to spring for that many packages). That hot melt glue works great for small tears, too, although it dries clear.

I've got a bunch of iron-on patches but was too lazy to use them. blush.gif

I like the overall design well enough, and the tub's in really good shape yet, so I may take the tent to a local canvas guy and have him duplicate it with stronger fabric next summer.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-15-2004).]