• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On board chargers

cartfan

Question

I have a 24 volt trolling motor system in the bow and I was thinking of getting an onboard charger. Would I get a 2 bank charger or include the starting battery and get a 3 bank. My boat has a 115 Yamaha and don't know if the motor will charge my cranking battery.

16 answers to this question

No the batteries in that boat are in series. They changed them in 2001. So you would need atleast a two bank charger, as long as your are not planning to go up to a 36 volt in the near future.
------------------
JIM PAYNE

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 02-12-2004).]

I would go a three bank. If you run electronics, radio, and other battery drain for hours at a time on the lake before the opportunity for charging it will provide peace of mind that all batteries (including starter) are ready to go.

The gorilla charging system is a great concept for "day or tournament fisherman". It just doesnt fit my situation. I opted for an oboard MinnKota 3-bank charger.

I went through this same issue a year ago. After researching, Guest brand chargers were the best for the $ and durability. Inexpensive, yet good performers. For 2 batteries, I bought a 2 bank charger. Does a good job overnight if my batteries are not totally dead (rare). 5 amp to each battery. No need to run a 3rd bank to the starting battery because my motor keeps that one up just fine. If I had the dough, I would have bought a 3 bank Guest, 10 amps to each trolling battery, 5 amps to the starting (just a bit faster and insurance if my starter is a bit down from the radio).

I'd go 3 bank for all 3 batteries, especially since most of the chargers are automatic (shut-off when needed, charge when needed). This can help to extend the life of your battery. Also keeps batteries charged over the winter, easier to get charged again if you accidentally leave something on and drain the battery, etc.

Jim,
No I did not know that about the Gorilla. That sounds like a VERY nice feature.

My motor (Yamaha F150) has a 35amp ALT. How would it work? Also, can one have the gorilla and a on board both installed. You have peeked my interest. Thanks.

vikes the gorilla box can be done two ways. First the unit can be hooked up to charge while you tow or you can do like i have with Ron Seelhoff and alot of other Pros. YOu can hook it to the running battery with a relay hooked to the on side of ignition or you can just cut the negative wire and run it under your dash and put a on/off switch. And yes all the gorillas i have installed are hooked to big pros boat that already had onboards. It will not bother either one. If you leave the boat on the dock the gorilla is just a good way of cutting out alot of down time. The nice thing is it will charge on your way back to the dock and it will top them off on the way out to your fishing spot. Hope this helps.

------------------
JIM PAYNE

I'm not sure if they're in a series or parallel. I've only looked at them once, and if I remember the neg hooked to one battery and the postive on the other battery with a connection wire running from the 2 terminals on each battery that weren't connected.

If there is a jumper between the pos and neg of the two batteries then they are in series and you can not hook a regular charger to them. You either have to unhook the jumper and charge one at a time or you need a 2 bank charger or if you tow your boat to and from the lake you can also use the stayncharge gorilla and it will charge both batteries in about 40 minutes of towing to and from the lake. They are sold on this site under gear or you can find alot of ac chagers that will take care of your needs. i hope this helps

------------------
JIM PAYNE