• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catchcam

Big Dave2

Question

Does anyone know anything about these? I just picked one up at the walleye expo for $99.95. The guy I bought it from said that it was last years demo model.

I have performed a search on this site and cannot find a single post where anyone discusses the cathccam. I also cannot seem to locate a HSOforum for this company.

Did I get screwed or what? Does anyone else have one of these or am I the only one in the world? I thought it would be worth the try for that money cuz I bought an aqua view about 3 or 4 yrs ago but I took it back cuz I couldn't see spending $300 on something that I couldn't see very good in the low light conditions. I know this one won't work any better but at 1/3 the cost I can just leave it at home if it doesn't work and not feel so bad.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Dave

6 answers to this question

I tried using it yesterday and just as I thought I couldn't see very far in the lake I was trying it in. Oh well I think they are all probably not much better yet.

The only thing I think might be a problem is the lights on the camera. I thought they were the infra red type but they are actually red lights. I wonder if they will scare fish away or maybe they will attract them.

Dave

I got to use on on the Rainy River a few years back right after ice out at Birchdale. This unit worked fantastic at that time of the year. Water was pretty clear and we were only looking down to about 17 feet max. I found it quite impressive to see those big sturgeon laying on the bottom and watching the air bubbles from the current roll across a walleyes face. For 99 bucks, I think you did ok.

Last I heard Catchcam (Axial Technologies) was no longer around. I know they were trying to sell last year. I believe Marcum, and Nature Vision didn't allow to much room for them to manuever.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Thanks for the info guys!

But what do you think of the red lights on this thing? I am kind of leary to put it down there and turn it on cuz it seems to me that it will spook every fish in a 20 ft radius!

Dave

I think any bright/unusual light will spook a fish in a 20' radius.
I have a MC2X and I never use the lights at night for ice fishing b/c I'm afraid that the fish will scare it away. The only time I use my lights at night is when trying to locate were the fish are at and seeing how they relate to structure. Otherwise I never us it while fishing, just searching.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300