• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Down Riggers

Havin' Fun

Question

I'm looking in to buying some riggers for my boat for fishing lake Michigan. I'm looking for some advice on what to buy. I will not be a super serious Big lake man as my boat is 17' but for basic usage, what would you suggest for specifics for the Cannon down riggers.

Length?
Model?
Cable length?

6 answers to this question

If your not that serious then the Cannon Easy Troll would be my choice. At $150 its a little more then the Sport Troll but you'll get 150'of cable (Sport Troll 100')along with the digital counter. The counter on the Sport Troll is to put it bluntly JUNK. Both have a 2' boom.

The next step up is the Uni-Troll with a telescoping boom and 200' of cable. The base swivels also.

My advice would be to go with manual downriggers. I have been going to Lake Michigan for 15+ years and sure it would be nice to have electrics, but the manuals work just fine. Besides, then you have the money saved from not going with the electrics to get other gear as you've mentioned. One more thing to consider before buying downriggers is where in your boat you will place them and how you will mount them. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck.

Never Enough......

I went out on LS last night chasing trout and salmon for my first time and had a blast. What advice would you have for an entry level purchase. Is it safe to say that you shouldn't vere from Cannon?

What features are important?

Thanks!