• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which deep cycle battery?

Dr. Bob

Question

I need a new battery for my boat. All I run with it is a Minnkota 65 trolling motor and a graph. I do not have a charger on my motor (or electric start) and just charge it up at home.

Does any one have suggestions. I want the best I can get and am not concerned about the price.

Thanks guys.

11 answers to this question

Since price is no object, I would highly recommend that you go with a Trojan. You can charge it between trips with your charger in your garage. That's what I do and it seems like it uses very little of the charge I put in it. This is after I've had my FL-18 running all day. One nice feature it has is that it has 2 terminal connections on each post. This allows you to run your flasher and your electric motor off the same connection. Mine cost me $105.00 at the Batteries Plus store near the Northtown Center in the Mpls. metro area. If that's not convenient for you, just go to Google, type in Trojan Batteries, click on it and their homesite will come up. Then just use their Dealer Locater.

------------------
YOU CAN'T talk AN OLD talk'ER!

Thanks Dirtball -

The only problem is there is not a dealer even remotely close to me (Iron Range) and I need it next week to run the TV for the 6 year old when we spend the weekend in a sleeper.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks

Try a cheaper battery and a STAYNCHARGE system so if battery is low just plug it into your vehicle for 20 minutes and you will have a full charge again. The products are available on the FM site.

------------------
JIM PAYNE

Napa Orbital. No maintanance whatsoever, and a 4 year warranty. The power is incredible compared to my "other" deep cycles. I can hardly drain my Orbital on my Minn Kota bow mount PD 50 in one day of fishing. My "other" deep cycles drain about 50% quicker in the same amount of usage.

[This message has been edited by ChuckN (edited 02-04-2004).]

Buy the cheapest deep cycle you can find. The lead-acid batteries all operate the same and I don't care what the human commercials on this site say.......they perform the same.

If you are operating a 65 minnkota though, I would recommend a second battery in parallel. This reduces the number of cycles you have to put the battery through by half and gives you twice the available amps.

I have two NAPA batteries on my Lund that I bought spring 2001 and haven't had a problem with them yet. I operate a 50 minnkota and can run for three or four days of hard fishing between cycles. I just use a $20 charger on the 2 amp charge option and hook it to one of the two batteries (it charges both).

The Trojan batteries have a larger reserve capacity, but how often do you need it? and would it justify the difference in cost.

Here is some info I found......

http://www.exide.co.nz/pdf/2.9.pdf

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 02-04-2004).]

De Bob Sounds like you limited to were you can buy a battery. What ever you find go with the highest amp hr rating you can find in a deep cycle. I've owned quite a few brands. My Interstate gel discharges less while sitting then my Stowaway. No big deal if you maintain your battery regularly. I had a couple cheap Action Paks that lasted 6 years with quite a few cycles on them.

The Trojan batteries I've run for the past 6 years have FAR exceeded what I expected. I've run Voyagers (2yrs) at the start, switched to Stowaways (3yrs), and landed on Trojans, I'm going on my 7th year on them. To get them, I need to arrange a meeting with the outstate delivery truck and do our business there. WELL worth the money and effort. You DO get what you pay for!

------------------
NOBODY ever died, wishing they had fished....LESS!!

Thanks Guys -

I just ordered the biggest Interstate deep cycle that I can get.

I'll be all set for the Rainy in March and also to keep the TV running next weekend for the 6 year old - so I can fish in peace smile.gif.