• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12v charging system (boat)

76k20

Question

how do u guys run your electrics. Stator charging starting batt. and charge deep cycle at home? also can you power an onboard charger via the stator to charge all banks of the charger? Im gonna be rewiring my boat and replacing batts just wanna make the most of it.

11 answers to this question

I don't think a outboard alternator is powerful enough to recharge any more than maintianing the starting batt. I would get a on board charger/ maintainer that can just stay plugged in when at the dock or garage.

Brian

I have to agree, don't plan on the motor to charge your deep cycle battery. If it's hard to get at you can go with an on board charger. Both the starting and deep cycle in my boat are easy to get at in my boat. I charge the deep cycle when I get home and check the charge on the starting battery from time to time. Theres also a product called Stay-n-Charge that will charge your deep cycle from your vehicles alternator on the drive home. I haven't tried one, maybe someone who has one will pipe in.

i have an on baord charger on my ranger. and love it. i plug it in after every day out fishing to keep the trolling batt. up. and check the start batt once in a while. next time i will get a three bank so i can charge all three batt at the same time. kind of spendy at the time, but man is it worth it. del

I have a 3 bank in our Crestliner. I love it, plug it in and forget. First it tops the staring battery, then raises levels on the deep cycle's evenly. Some how it switches itself back and forth. When all hit a certain level it goes into a trickle as needed.

I am going to buy an on-board charger this spring and have a question on how many banks to buy. I have two deep cycles connected together to produce 12V. and a starting battery. Is there a way to charge each of the deep cycles seperately without getting up into the boat and disconnecting them? Or should I just buy a two bank charger and charge the deep cycles together. It seems that it does not give as full of a charge when the deep cycles are hooked together.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks.

First off if the outboard is rated at 30amps or larger you can charge your trolling batteries from it. secon if you pull your boat to and from the lake, and the drive is atleast 30 minutes from the lake then the stayncharge gorilla will be all you will need. Some time this spring we will have an acc to the gorilla that will let you charge your trolling batteries will on the water too,(if the outboard is big enough). If your charging system is working correctly with the gorilla then your starting battery should only need charged with the boat motor.There are ways to charge your starting batrtery from the gorilla box that we will make known this spring also. The price I have given rick for you guys for this month is cheaper then anywere else to include CABBELLAS which will have the stayncharge line starting at the middle of this month. Hope this helps and if i can help, let me know

------------------
JIM PAYNE

30 minutes to charge a dead deep cycle? Thats impressive!!

I do find it hard to believe my 150 Johnson puts out 30 amps, but I have no idea. Even at that wouldn't it still take 2-3 hrs to charge a drained battery? Thats a long time to run the big motor and lots of gas.

Brian

Jim,
Just to be sure I understand you correctly the gorilla is simaliar to a 3 bank onboard except its power is supplied by the towing vehicle. And if I were to connect the charging lead from the stator (assuming I have <30A current) to the input side of the gorilla charger It would charge all batts When running and not only the starting batt. Assuming this is correct than a dc power supply (with proper amperage) Or a battery charger could be used to charge the unit from an ac outlet.

If im right so far I think im sold.

Will the gorilla charge seperate circuits or do all the batts need to be connected?

If I am using the Gorilla as a two bank charger is there current dedicated to both banks or does it switch and charge one at a time?

Is the gorilla overcharge protected, Does it sense when one batt is full and stop charging it while still charging the other batteries?

Could I wire one bank to the starting batt and the other bank to 2 deep cycles wired parallel?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Kyle Kreisler

[This message has been edited by 76k20 (edited 02-04-2004).]

fIRST ANSWER, THE 150 OUTBOARD SHOULD HAVE PLENTY OF AMPS TO CHARGE IF IT IS NEW ENOUGH AND I CAN FIND OUT FOR YOU IF YOU GET ME THE YEAR IT WAS MADE.
2ND ANSWER IS YES THE GORILLA WILL CHARGE THREE BATTERIES WILL TOWING FROM YOUR VEHICLE. IT IS A VERY SMART SWITCHING BOX. IT WILL CHARGE EACH BATTERY FOR FIVE MINUTES GIVING IT ONLY THE AMPS IT WANTS THEB IT SWITCHES TO THE NEXT BATTERY AND GIVES IT ONLY THE AMPS IT WANTS, SO ON SO FORTH. iT WILL ALSO TEST EACH BATTERY EVERY TIME YOU HOOK UP TO IT. IT TEST VOLTS, AND POLERITY TOO. WHAT EVERY NEEDS TO KNOW IS THAT USING YOU VEHICLE ALTENATER THE BATTERIES ARE SAYING THEY NEED 30 AMPS OR 1 AMP AND THAT IS WHAT IT GIVES THEM. I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR TEN YEARS AND HAVE HAD EVERY POSSIBLE CITUATION AND IT WORKS THE SAME. I KNOW YOU KNOW THAT IF IT DID NOT WORK CABELAS AND SOME OTHER BIG COMPANIES WOULD NOT BE USING THEM. (RON SEELHOFF,CASEY IWAI, AND ALOT OF OTHERS).
I HOPE THIS HELPS. WE DO NOT TELL EVERYONE YOU CAN CHARGE YOUR STARTING BAYYERY BUT THERE IS AWAY TO DO THAT BUT WE HAVE TO USE ANOTHER PART WE ARE COMING OUT WITH IN THE SPRING.

------------------
JIM PAYNE

I recall that many members out there had purchased the stayncharge andor gorilla last season and was wondering what they thought after a season of use

Im sold on the idea and just want some backing from fellow fisherman
thanks

NAFC DID A VERY LARGE PRODUCT TEST AND THEY JUST POSTED IT IN THE NEW MAGAZINE. tHEY GAVE US ONE OF THE HIGHEST RATINGS THEY GIVE. 85% HAD GREAT THINGS TO SAY ABOUT IT AND NOT ONE CAME BACK AND SAID IT DID NOT WORK. tHE ONLY NEGATIVE WAS THAT IT WAS PRICED TO HIGH. ALL PRODUCTS HAVE A 90 DAY MONEY BACK GUARENTEE. EVERY PERSON ON THE FM STAFF THAT HAS THE PRODUCT HAS TOLD ME THEY USE IT AND LIKE IT. AND YOU WILL TOO. I GUARENTEE IT.

------------------
JIM PAYNE

[Note from Rick: CLICK HERE for more info or to get your Stay and Charge.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 02-04-2004).]