• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do with Garmin GPS 75

Cove

Question

My first GPS was a Garmin 75 May 1995. Turned it on last week and after about 30 minutes of "searching the sky" (too long even for this 8-channel sequential receiver) the screen went blank. It was as if it had been turned off. Power supply was fine (12 volt car adaptor) I tried turning it back on, it would power up and start to search for satelites again but now would only stay on for a minute or so before going dead again.
I emailed Garmin support and was given a perfunctory reply to mail it in, $99 flat fee to repair...
I am fond of this old thing and have accessaries to use it in boat and car, but could get a new 12 channel parallel receiver hand held for very little more than $99.
Any ideas?

4 answers to this question

Thanks for your comments, folks. I took it out again and instead of using the car power cord I used the one I had for my boat and the power did not fail. After 25 minutes it was still "Searching the Sky" but when I hit the Nav key it did show coordinates and said it had "3-D" reception so maybe in reinitialized and will be OK. I will try it out again when it warms out more. I did order a Lowrance LCX-19C with a GPS so the old Garmin 75 will be my backup. I just kind of like the rather large, square shaped thing for some reason.

HMMMMM.....I have a 45xl that I bought back in 93, I use this as a back up now. This one did this same thing this past summer, I reinitialized and it has been fine since. Not familiar with the Garmin you mention but if you have'nt reinitialezed it give that a try???

Fisky