• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clutter on vexilar

Bryce

Question

Been using it for 6 or 7 years now and just thought to ask the question here. What is all the green clutter on screen down to about 5 feet below the transducer? Sometimes it's even lower (7-8 feet). Worse if the transducer isn't below the ice. Ways to avoid/correct it?

10 answers to this question

bryce, nothing to worry about, it's just the arctic seals.they are not nessacarily right under your transducer, they send out ultra-sonic sound waves much like that of the hump back whale. this is what you are viewing on your screen. it will go away durring the warmer months. that is when they bury them selves in the mud for a long summers nap, though some have been found hybronating under joel's cabin.they are the main reason i still use an eight inch auger. i had one poke his head up, but he could not get his shoulders through. thank god!! hope this helps.

jigglestick

[This message has been edited by jigglestick (edited 01-29-2004).]

Do you have your sensitivity set to high.I like to get the ducer below the ice and adjust the sensitivity till I can pick up the jig.I think what you are seeing is called surface clutter.Also make sure the ducer is hanging level.

[This message has been edited by rmh2o (edited 01-29-2004).]

Jiggle, I had just got done tangling with a seal using the bobbing technique that morning I first met you. Just think how bad the seal looked. Sensitivity is set fine, ducer is level, ducer is clean and scratch free. Just annoying trying to pick fish out of the clutter when fishing suspended fish in shallow water. Was hoping maybe a software prob that I could have updated.

I know I see more clutter on mine as my battery starts to drain down, but I don't always charge mine after every use like I should. So if you keep your battery charged right this would not be the problem, must be the seals.

Dave

Usually it's ice clutter. If you drop the transducer below the ice it goes away.

Although after dark I notice this happens irregardless. Must be minnow of zooplanton. They are there when it's still light out.

I run my vex as shallow as I can and still keep it level. These things will shot right through the ice with ease. Call fish -L-tonics in Colombia heights and ask the guy how far to run the transducer.the key is to have it wet. Try wiping the bottom off with a rag (pants leg/shirt ) or try running without the LR off.Metro

I'd say ice clutter - keep below the ice -- or some kind of plankton/bugs if at night. Also, futz with the IR button a little and see if that helps.

Called Vex once. Put transducer to ear, listen to clicks, press IR and they change in frequency. Press it again, change again. I think there are 7 settings till back to beginning. Kind of cool to hear exactly what IR does.

I was recently running my Vex with Cliff fishing nearby. He has the MEGA powered Markum. grin.gif My Vex IR helped clean up the Vex display, but not totally---too much to overcome.

Later, he left but we stayed out, all kinds of green marks---must of been bugs of some sort.

Make sure there is no ice/snow stuck to the transducer. This will make the vex act goofy.

Hope it helps.

Ken

------------------
Captain Ken Kessler
www.captainken.com
www.muskieschool.com
Guiding in Illinois and North East Minnesota
847-970-9108 Illinois
218-742-4680 Minnesota

Bryce, for best results the transducer should be below the ice. Like others stated you will get interference from the plankton, usually around dark. I've noticed that braided line will interfere with your sounder. I don't know if its because it holds tiny amounts of air or its more of a reflection thing.

Maybe my post wasn't clear. I run my ducer below the ice. Clutter is worse if pull it up higher when experimenting. It is very rare I don't have this clutter on screen. Numerous lakes in different areas of the state. Keep info coming. Too dam cold in this state. I'm going skiing in Utah to warm up.

Here is what vexilar said about how far down the hole .This is right out of their owners manual for the FL-8-SLT

http://www.vexilar.com/help/manuals.html
metro.

How far does the ice hole does the ice ducer have to be?

you need water contact only to get a depth reading.The bottom or face of the transducer,only, has to make contact with the water in order to get a good transfer of sound waves into the water.
There are times(usually deep ice-36" or more)when the transducer needs to be placed at the bottom of the ice. The zero indication of the flasher will be unusually wide, 8 to 10 feet wide. This can be caused by the transmitted signal ringing back and forth through the depth of the hole. By extending the transducer to the bottom of the hole this ringing can be eliminated. Now the lake depth must be mentally corrected for the new position of the transducer.

Will The FL-8SLT Read Through The Ice?

YES! IT will easily read through ice, provided the ice is CLEAR ICE and not MILKY ICE. Remember, the transducer must have GOOD CONTACT with the surface of the clear ice. A bottom indication should appear on the sounders dial at an appropriate depth. The ice surface must be we; water works well.