• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New versus old boat?

IrishZit

Question

I'm interested to hear folks thoughts on buying new versus used.

To stay in my price range, I'm looking to get a early '90's Pro-V or looking at a new decked out Rebel.

It seems to me I get a lot more boat for the money with a used Pro-V.

Is this good logic?

Thanks for the input!

10 answers to this question

I'm on my fifth Pro-V out of six Lunds I've owned. Four of them were new, one was used. Your first thought is right. There is an excellent market for used Pro-V's in Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Dakotas. If you can dedicate the time to looking you will find what you want. Start looking now. I know of at least one HSOforum that always has a lot of used Pro-V's on it in our area.

Wave Runner, you have pieced my curiosity. Can you give me the name of the dealer? You can email me directly at [email protected]

When looking at used boats is there anything in particular that I need to be looking for, such as soft floor, damaged hull..

I’m also curious to hear the arguments for a Yar Craft or Warrior.

I’m a walleye fisherman that likes to do a lot of back trolling, so a high transom is a must. I like a wide stable hull to handle big water. I’m also a tiller man, but I’m sure Warrior or Yar Craft have tiller models.

Thanks for the input!

I have fished out of tiller 17.5 foot Warriors, Yar Crafts, and Pro Vs on the same day with the same motors in the same big water and the glass boats had a softer ride and were dryer.

All of those boats are very nice and it is a matter of personal preference.

I have a 17.5 foot Warrior Tiller that I picked up for around 9K. Quite a bit of boat for the $.

If you're going to buy used. Get the motor checked out by a certified marina!!!!!!!!! Have them do a compression test, and check everything.

A used boat saving five thousand dollors is not a good deal if you have to put $4500 into a rebuild. Then you just have a used boat with an old rebuilt motor for the same as new.

Also get a firm quote on any repairs!!! I had my 75hp mariner in for a rebuild that I was told could run as much as $2500, and they wouldn't know for sure until they got into it. Before I got my motor back the bill was $4700!!! and they wondered why I was not happy.

Hi All!

I just clicked on the boat dealers section at the top of this page, and one of the boat dealers that is listed has several used Pro-V's for sale at reasonable prices. A couple of them are tillers.

A Pro-V is my dream boat, but for now, my 1675 Lund Explorer works just fine (and I didn't have to mortgage my house to afford it) lol.

See ya!

Fishinglund