• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fav spinning reel under 75$

slick2526

Question

I would have to say my two favorites are the Okuma Avenger and Epixor. The price is right and they have the quality. Im pretty hard on my equipment and theese reels take ever ounce of abuse I put them through. Virtually no slack in the handle, and the drag's are some of the smoothest I have found. I would say that they easily compete with reels twice the price.

Im just looking for some opinions from others since I will be restocking all of my equipment this year.

Thanks and good fishing.

21 answers to this question

The Tica Cetus is a very nice real for light line fishing. I bought two of them last year and I love them. Last year at Joe's they were 60 bucks each. They were the top end Ticas last year.

Tex

well, this is a great thread because i have been surching for the ultimate reel for years now. first i'd like to say that ive tried most of them , abu, shimano, quantum, tika, pinnacle, and okuma. also i'll say that no matter what brand, you can grab two identical reels and they can be completely different as far as rotation and slop in the moving parts, it is a rule of mine to grab three or four of the same model to find one that fits. anyway, i consider myself to be very anal when it comes to rods and reels, so here is my opinion on my favorite reel. my favorite open water reel to date is the pinnacle deadbolt..........wow what a solid rig, no slop, great rotation, smoother than i ever dreamed, outstanding drag, and like the name states.........deadbolt hooksets.
i wasn't sure about pinnacle at first - but they have got a great reel. as far as my favorite cold water reel it is defanatly the tica cetus, what a great reel. alot of brands make a good downsized version of there spinning reels but most fall short at some point. the cetus is everything a frozen water fisherman could ask for, smooth, good balance, good rotation, good feel, the best part..........great drag, and overall much better quality than most ultralight reels around.

I'll second that the tica's are the best reel for ice and pan fishing. I have two now, one with 5 bearings and one with 6. They are both great but if I was to buy another tica I could get the cetus with 5 bearings. It's about 10 bucks cheaper and has a phenominal drag. I hace landed some pike in the 6 to 10lb range this year on 3 lb test line. Tica all the way for ice. smile.gif

Quantum Kinetic ($70) This reel in size 10 works great for ice fishing and then can be switched over to a light or ultra-light rod for soft water( again someone remind me what soft water looks like) The Kinetic and Catalyst both have ceramic drags and no bail springs to break.

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

I'm also for the Tica's. started out with the 10BB libra and was more than impressed with the quality the smoothness. Since then i have upgraded to their top of the line tica taurus. I have the 4000 and the 1000 both with 14 ball bearings, one roller bearing and two bearings in the handle for a total of 17 BALL BEARINGS.they are comparable to the shimano stella in everyway at about half the price.

Lunker,
Just saw a great deal on a reel.

Reeds sporting goods in Walker, MN is closing out size 1500 and 2000 Daiwa Capricorns for $45.99 as they bring the new model in. These are very solid reels that normally command $115.00 or more. The reason for the closeout is an update in model that changes very little in the reel.