• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ideas/suggestions for a heater for a 6' x 8'

eman

Question

10 answers to this question

A Mr heater is the kind you screw onto a LP tank that glows when you light it and doesnt have a stovepipe.You would have to open a window or have good ventilatin.If it was me I would spend the money and get a direct vent heater especially if you plan on sleeping in it.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I don't recommend a Mr heater style in a permanent if you value your life.

You need to look at the vented variety.

eman If you plan on sleeping in this shack you'll need a vented heater. Empire Direct Vent Heaters are some of the best and safest. Beware of those stoves that are vented with stove pipe. They are not a sealed unit and under the right conditions will pile CO into your shack.

If your only planning on day use then you could get by with a sunflower with plenty of ventilation or a ventless wall mount.

I use the Mr. Heater in our permanent. I just make sure that 2 windows are open enough to bring in fresh air. Those little vents that get installed by the manuf. of perm. houses don't work worth a darn. So make sure you do have windows. Even to put in some plexiglass and make a sliding window, (2 of them) and you will be fine.

And I did sleep in the house for multiple days in a row.

[This message has been edited by The Chemist (edited 01-26-2004).]

I think the most important point is that you should put a CO2 sensor in your house to Reguardless. I myself want to put in a ventless wall unit like all the house at lake of the woods have. I will have plenty venting because the heater I am taking out have a 6"X6" hole in the wall plus I have 4 other fresh air vents in the house and slider windows if necessary. Venting is the most critical thing but I will be sure to add that CO2 sensor to the list when I am shopping for that wall unit. I think the sunflower is a really bad idea in a permant house but it will work no question of that.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Hey eman I am selling my 6'x8' with a vented 15k btu heater it is in the for sale section. If this will be your first hard side shack this may be for you. It will be cheaper than going new and when you want to upgrade like I am doing you will not loose that much cash. I have slept two people in my shack and had no problems. My heater is the stove pipe type and I really like it.