• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used Motor

Flash King

Question

Recently was able to purchace a older(in excellent shape) 14 1/2' deep-vee Mirrorcraft with a 20hp(1990) Mercury.Motor hasn't been used in 4 years(Has been stored in a basement).Question is - should I take the motor to a mechanic and get a complete check/tune up or do a normal spring check:grease lower unit,change plug,etc. and expect the motor to be OK for normal operation?

------------------

6 answers to this question

I would give it a try this spring, mix a fresh tank of fuel, add proper dose of Sea-Foam and get a muff to hook up water from your garden hose. Check or change lower unit grease, install a new plug and then hope they put it away correctly. If it doesn't start right away, leave it sit for a half hour to give the Sea-Foam a chance to work and try it again. Once it starts let it run on fast idle for 10-15 minutes. Then check the carb and see if there is any drips (in case the gaskets have dried up)also you can check hose to see if it is holding pressure. In a couple days try it again, if it fires right up, I'd feel comfortable taking it out on the lake to try it out. Good luck

I'll add make sure its pumping water. Hopefully the motor was stored with fresh lower gear oil and no water has been sitting in the gear case. After your first time on the water check the lower unit again for water. If there is any have the seals replaced along with a new impeller.

If it has been sitting that long I would pull the plugs out now and sray some fogging oil in the holes and turn it over by hand to make sure the cylinders get lubed.You can also take out the lower unit plug {screw} and let a few drops of oil come out and see what color it is.If it is milky looking you have a problem.

I think you should take it to a mechanic and have them take a look at it because if it has sat for 4 years you can pretty much rest assured that there are some seals that are going to be weather crack and brittle. Plus you WILL NEED to have a carb job even on something that has be stabilized an winterized properly.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Just wanted to thank you for your responses.Better safe than sorry I've contacted a local marine dealer and bringing the motor in next week for a complete checkout. May cost me a few extra bucks,but I've been towed in once before-not a happy day.Thanks Again

------------------