• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tying flies

fishtrap3

Question

Anyone have any input as what a beginner should buy as a kit? Nothing in the couple hundred dollar range thou, as I want to see if I like doing this first. I really don't trout fish but thought it would be fun to catch some panfish on something that I made instead of bought!!

3 answers to this question

Look at the starter kits Cabella's or Gander may have, I took a class a few years ago, and purchased a starter kit from Gander. It isn't all that bad of a kit. I don't tie a lot of flys yet, so I have not had any issues. but don't get the cheapest one available, i didn't like them, I purchased one that was middle of the road as far as pricing goes.

Fishtrap3: I tie quite a few flies for trout in a year. I teach a fly fishing class at my place of employment. Included in that class is a section on tying flies. We use the following basic equipment.

Vice. You can find an adequate vise for about $20-25.
Tying bobbin. Get one with a ceramic insert. They run about $12-13. Nonceramic bobbins are about $4-5.
Good sharp Scissors. $5
Hackle pliers. $2
Whip finisher. $5

You be able to get a good start with the list above. You always add the cute stuff later.