• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LX3 experts question?

walleyereaper

Question

I just picked up a new marcum and was very happy with it the first two times I used it. Then the third time I had it out it started to flutter or jitter quite a bit. What I mean by jitter is when I would adjust the gain to where my lure is a fine yellow line, the line would bounce back and forth between two or three lines up and down,and so would the red fish marks. Everything on the dial would jitter more than I can remember it doing the first two times I had it out. I tried everthing to get rid of it from adjusting the gain, raising and lowering the ducer, putting on the IR, turning it on and off. Since I am new to sonar maybe this is normal? It was very annoying and I am wondering if I have a faulty unit. I was fishing on LOW the day it gave me problems and there were no other people by me.

13 answers to this question

I have used mine at 30% power and never experienced that problem. I would contact Marcum in Monti and see what they say. There is some "bounce" if you are moving the jig quick in zoom at 20 to 40 foot settings. I have seen the same thing on Vex 18. What does the bottom look like? I would say if it is bouncing when not in zoom it must be picking up way to much interfer and I would have them fix / replace it.

Walleyereaper,since you just got the unit you might try letting it sit on the charger for 24 hours or so.On the first charge of the battery you need to let it charge for awile,after that it should only take 6-8 hours charging if you used it a full day.Hope this helps,love that lx-3,great service to.Good fishing Don grin.gif

The bottom lock was good but I think the other noise bounces MUCH more than it did the first two times. It was like the ping from the ducer was'nt as fast as it was before and everything was flickering and leaving trails. And yes I hit the IR multiple times,and the battery was just off a 48 hr charge.

I know exactly what your talking about.Allthough both the Marcum and the Vex are succeptible to this effect,the Marcum does it much less than the Vex.One of the reasons I went with Marcum this year.
I am not positive but I think it is caused by variations in water density or temperature.It also shows up in deeper depths.Its normal and happens to all flashers.

Hiya,
Dennis is right on, I think. It's just some wierd convergence of conditions near as I can tell. Used to happen with my old Lowrance 2330s on the ice once in a while too. Only happened to me once with my LX-3 in two years of pretty steady use. If it happens consistently you might have a problem, but it's likely just one of those oddball things.

RK

I also experienced the "jitter" while up on Red last weekend. I purchased the unit 2 days before, and everything seemed fine. Got up there, and started using it. First night she was fine. The second day, the jitter started. I couldn't stand it. Tried everything. Even switched to a new battery. Same thing. Luckily I had my FL-18... she worked flawlessly. The Marcum's going back!

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

I hear ya Scott. I am going to return it, and get another. I don't wanna give up in 'em yet... as I liked it when it WAS working..lol.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

Did you guys ever get problem fixed, or just return them? I am having the same problem, only mine changed in the middle of use the first time out. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Loved it up until then. Buddy had one and his worked great. I e-mailed Marcum customer service and they said they haven't heard of that problem before, and that I should return to the retailer or exchange it directly with them. Have to say the fast response from the service dept was more than could be asked for.

When the FL-18's bottom was jumping around in the AZ mode and I called to talk to them about it they hadn't heard about it either. Yet, we had been discussing it for months on this site. Lots of people called, returned units, etc. Finally, after enough people called they recognized the problem and we all had to send our units in for an update.

What I am saying is because 1, 2 or 4 people have the same problem it is not necessarily a problem with the unit. Possibly just a bad unit. MarCum will certainly recognize the problem if more complaints or problems come in. My guess is you may have just got a lemon. It happens no matter what you buy.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com