• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trying to use Eagle fish finder for hard water

Powerstroke

Question

I picked up an Eagle Fish ID fish finder from someone who replaced there's with a newer model. This is a late 80's model but its like every one I've ever seen.

Getting the transducer in the water looks pretty easy since I got the mounting bracket for the transom mount.

My problem is getting power to this thing. Right now all I have is a 1 foot long cord that plugs into the back of the screen and cut wires on the other end. Its got a red, white and black wire coming form the plug.

Anybody converted a regular fish finder to a winter application? Any suggestions abuot what I should do for power?

Post here or email at [email protected]

4 answers to this question

I converted one several years ago by using those small 6 pack coolers with the peaked top that folds back. Know the ones i mean?
ANYWAY... I just put a cheap lawn mower batter inside the cooler, hooked the wires to it and mounted the boat bracket on the lid of the cooler and WHALLLA... portable graph. The battery will last all day, just toss it on the trickle charger over night and head out again. I got 2 solid seasons out of my battery. Not bad for 18.00.

Hope that is kind of what you were looking for.

Thats sounds like what I want to do. My only problem is I don't know how the wiring goes. I am not an electrical whiz, but I can do wiring if I know where I'm going with it.

Anyone know what the wires are for? I figure red is positive, black is negative. Is the white a ground? How is it supposed to be grounded when attached to a battery? Does it not need the ground since its not a 12volt electrical system, no chance of shorting?

I used to fish with an Eagle Ultra for ice too.
Yup the black and red wire are the one to hook up to the battery.You can get a 12 volt sonar battery with charger from just about any sporting goods store for under 30 clams.
One tip when using the LCR on ice.You must have the tranducer completely level for them to work properly.If you don't have the ducer level(and centered in the hole) you won't be able to pick up your bait or even fish.Its a real trick getting them level too.I used the trolling motor transducer on an adjustable swing arm with ball sockets.Used to be able to buy them at the sporting good stores but haven't seen them lately.On top of the ducer I siliconed a bubble level so that you could find level easily.
I have also seen guys use a peice of 3/4"styrofoam with a hole cut in the middle in which you place the ducer.I would still get a bubble level to make sure you get the ducer perfectly level.(Very important)
I used the Eagle in 'Fastrac" mode when ice fishing.This is the real time display on the Lowrance/Eagle units.When a fish would come into the cone the screen would display a long bar rather than an arc.Your bait would be a thin line accross the screen.If you read the right hand side of the display your getting instant information.Reading to the left of the display is just "history" or what has allready happened.
I was more than satisfied with my home made ice sonar untill I used a Vex.Then I was completly happy with that untill I saw what a Marcum could do. smile.gif