• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garmin 12 Lost Stored GPS Points

Animal

Question

Last weekend I changed the batteries in my Garmin 12. When I turned it on all of my saved GPS points were gone. I've changed batteries many times and this has never happend. So why did this happen?

8 answers to this question

Did you ever get a "low memory battery" message?

The 12's have had some problems with not warning when the memory battery needs replacing. The memory battery is supposed to recharge from the "AA"'s but some don't from what I hear. Do you have a cigarette lighter power adapter? This is also supposed to charge the memory battery. Garmin will replace it, free of charge I believe, Go to garmin.com and you should be able to get your questions answered.

It is a bummer to lose all your waypoints. That is why I back mine up on the computer quite often.

If you are losing waypoints by taking too long to install "aa"'s then the memory battery is shot.

From the Garmin site-

If you have a cigarette lighter adapter cable or a power data cable, plug the unit into a power source for three days (car, boat, etc.) to recharge the internal memory battery. If you do not have one of these cables, place a fresh set of AA batteries in the unit and leave the unit powered off for approximately five days. Once the internal memory battery is recharged, the "Low Memory Battery" message should no longer be displayed.

If the message persists, you will need to return the GPS unit to Garmin so the internal memory battery can be replaced. If this is the case, please send us a Technical Support e-mail . A Return Material Authorization (RMA) will be set up and returned to you via e-mail, along with shipping instructions. The RMA number will ensure accurate tracking and prompt return of the unit to you.

If you own an 8-channel GPS receiver unit, a marine GPS unit or chartplotter, or an aviation handheld, your unit has a non-rechargeable memory battery. You will also need to send your unit to Garmin for replacement under our flat-rate repair program. In this case, please e-mail Garmin using the above link or call Garmin Product Support at 1-800-800-1020 to arrange for an RMA number to be issued for the return of your unit.

As memory technology has advanced, many Garmin GPS units (starting in 2000) no longer require a memory battery to support user data.

Luckily, I do have the waypoints backed up. I never did get a low battery message as the batteries that I replaced were not totally dead. The unit still has the points that I saved last weekend. I'm going to pull the batteries and see if the same thing happens.

Thank you very much for the information.

Yup I have lost mine twice in my garmin gps III. Not backed up either, lost a lot of special spots. If I need to change out the batteries I have to have it plugged into my cigaret lighter so it has a power source or walla it is all gone. Last time around I lost 476 waypoints so as you can guess I was a little upset.