• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chipper vs dual Blade auger Pros/Cons

GudeMN

Question

I have an old Mag III with a 7 inch drill assembly. It looks like after this year it's going to be hard to find blades for it. The HSOforum states "permanently out of stock" on the 7.25 inch chipper blades I need. So, I'm going to get an 8 inch drill now. I'm debating between just getting another chipper blade or stepping up and putting a Lazer drill assembly on my powerhead. Please tell me the good and the bad about the Lazer blades. I know they cut faster and easier, but, do they hold an edge very long? I've also heard a few complaints about the blades not contacting the ice very well after being used for awhile. So, if you have a good story or a bad one, please share it and help me come to a decision. Thanks.

Brad

5 answers to this question

I have the Lazer Mag Xpress here 10" cut, blades are excellent and hold a real good edge.
The upgrade would be worth it.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

I also have the Lazer Mag express 10". I am on my 2nd season and the blades are still razor sharp and I have punched many, many holes. Sharp enough to take part of my leather boot off last weekend.....ouch.!!!!

A "Lazer" shaves the ice and is much sharper than the "chipper" type. It is also more susceptible to not cutting as well if it gets dull, the blades get damaged or chipped. The big advantage is they are able to re-drill thru old holes. So if you fish out of a permanent house, they are the ticket.
Chipper blades "chip" the ice. So if you tend to not treat your auger kindly at times, (toss it in a sled or pickup w/o the cover etc) or maybe drill thru sandy ice, then get a chipper type. They are not as dependent on the blades being razor sharp in order to cut a hole. I have had both kinds, but prefer a Lazer over the chipper type.

I have the same auger have had it for about 5 years now. only sharpened the blade once with a hone. how bad is your blade that you need to replace it, these chipper blades take alot of abuse and still do the job. also you could have strikemaster sharpen then for you.