• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pulling ottersled through deep snow

Surface Tension

Question

My Medium Ottersled seems to pull OK (by hand) across ice with very little snow. However, this weekend I tried to pull it through 15" of snow--I almost couldn't do it without emptying all the contents of the sled and carrying them separately. I'm guessing the Otter, when fully loaded, isn't designed for gliding across the top of the snow, rather it just plows through the snow so you better use a snowmobile or ATV to pull it. Any thoughts on how to make this easier, when going through deep snow?

2 answers to this question

Try putting a long rope on it,When we fish the lakes around the north shore and Superior you can not always pull the sled right behind you because of the terrain.We climb over the ice ridge or up the hill and then pull the sled up/over once we are on better ground using our arm strength.my sled has a 75'rope on it all tied up for when needed. I pull it mostly with the wheeler. We always walk up on the N.shore because a guy can drive in one hour farther than you can walk in a day. Not many people back there to help you incase..well just incase.metro

My Medium Ottersled seems to pull OK (by hand) across ice with very little snow. However, this weekend I tried to pull it through 15" of snow--I almost couldn't do it without emptying all the contents of the sled and carrying them separately. I'm guessing the Otter, when fully loaded, isn't designed for gliding across the top of the snow, rather it just plows through the snow so you better use a snowmobile or ATV to pull it. Any thoughts on how to make this easier, when going through deep snow?