• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie Photo Gallery

davev

Sounds like what we've been doing. I've thrown those grandma's for awhile, then get tired and throw the bucktails again. Both that we caught were right at the boat. Missed two others, but figure 50% at the boat was pretty good. I'm not familiar with a "hell hound", but will check it out. Do you have troubles with the Grandma hanging up in the weeds?

If my Grandma starts getting caught in the weeds, I will try reeling in a little slower or twitching it a little lighter. If that doesn't work for me, then I will switch to a smaller sized Grandma with a smaller lip. Seems to work for me, most of the time. smile.gif You really should try a Hellhound. It's one of my favorite baits to throw.

RR 78...That Muskie was taken out of my boat and we weren't sure how big it was?

We had a 36 inch stick on in the boat, but the fish was much larger then that.

The fish was towing the boat around and none of us in the boat had any experience with a fish that big! My personal best was a 16 1/2 pound northern and I think Yeti's may be the 9 pound walleye he got afew years ago. Brian, the 3rd guy in the boat, has about a 10 pound pike as his biggest.

Having that big critter in the boat was a little unnerving to us inexperienced muskie fishermen...it drew blood on both Yeti and I....Brian backed off and let us handle the fish.

When we first seen it come to the side of the boat, we weren't really sure what the he11 we were gonna do? Our net wasn't small, but certainly not made for that fish and I for one had no intention of getting my hands anywhere near that dude!

Yeti expertly fought the fish to the side of the boat, I got it's head in the net and somehow we got it into the boat?

After it smashed and thrashed around for a bit we were able to pin it down and get the hooks out....it had busted right through the net.

The Yeti was pale as a ghost when he held the fish up for the photo. He successfully released it and we have been pitching muskie plugs ever since! We figured the fish to be about 46 inches?

Does anyone out there in the muskie world know how to do some sleuthing, using the picture as a guide to get another interpetation as to length?

It is hard to tell by a picture, but if I were to guess, I would guess slightly over 40". If you look at his one hand he has 4 fingers showing. On my hand that is about 4 inches across. Now he may have bigger or smaller hands than mine, but that is a guess. Using that I came up with a little over 10 of these across. Maybe 42 +/-, but I don't think it is a lot bigger than that. It is a stout fish though. Many of the from Tonka are on the skinny side.

The radius of the average human eyeball is .63 inches. If you apply a simple distance normalizing algorithem and then measure the fish using that as a standard the fish measures at between 59.5 and 60.3 inches. Congrats. Thats the way I measure all my fish so I'm pretty good at it! grin.gif

Cap-e-tan...Check out MJBo's formula below yours....I think we'll go with his method! grin.gif I tried figuring out something using kinda the same method you used...that and a formula sent to me from my bud Dan Thiem....as near as we can figure the fish is 4 1/2 inches long and weighs 60 pounds! grin.gif

Next time the Yeti comes over, I guess I'm gonna have to measure the width of his head! smile.gif

hate to point out the bad news but he is holding the fish away from his body - therefore useing his eyeballs will not work. that would give him the worlds biggest fingers....... look at how big his fingers are compaired to the fin..... i would guess low 40s. nice fish!

Mjbo, I think your right, my largest Muskie this year measured 47inches, but who knows, that was with one of those silly tapes you put on your boat. Going back and looking at the picture I come up with roughly 98 eyes. So I'm going with 62" wink.gif Seems your way is more reasonable. Who says those guys at the factory that make those tapes are always right, they could be off by just a smidge. 62 it is.

Well this is the first Muskie my wife unhooked and the first one we've boated on Minnetonka. She thought she had a snag, well snag's don't shake their head ! It jumped 3 times which was fun. It measured out at 38". At some point in its life it had mangled up the right side of its mouth pretty good - what an ugly fish MettaMuskie.jpg

Well, this is my first muskie!! About a month ago, i went fishing with a friend and his dad on Leech. His dad's a big time muskie fisherman up there. I was hooked. I've grown up fishing for bass a lot and fly fishing a ton. SO over the last month, i stole my dad's boat(thanks dad!!!) put a hitch on my car, loaded up on gear and hit the water. I've been on the lakes in the east metro 13 of the last 14 days casting and trolling my butt off!!

44 incher, caught in about 2 feet of water. Topraider, black. Just after sunset. We saw two fish earlier and had some other hits later on. Thanks for lookin!

muskie 005.jpg