• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

nils master hand auger

jackoh58

Question

I have a 8' Nils Master hand auger. Last year it cut great but now it takes way more work to cut holes. I can't see any nicks and it feels prety sharp. Do any of you know if these are too delicate? Can it be re- sharpend? The cutting system is different than my friends Strikemaster Laser. Seem as the Strikemaster is more durable. Please help me out with some info.
Thanks!

------------------
Iceyes6

1 answer to this question

Even though the cutting edges on the head seem sharp, I would surprised if they were "shaving" sharp. A hole drilled one time in a some sand or dirt on the ice pretty much takes care of the shaving edge. At the St Paul ice show last Dec I asked the N-M rep about sharpening and his reply was "The importer here in the US is NOT set up at this time to exchange or sharpen the head." I doubt if any of the sharpening services in the Central states area can do it as it will take a special jig. I do know that auger is a lot more popular in the Eastern states and perhaps someone on a New York forum (hint) can help you. You might also try Niles Master direct but use the phone. E-mails don't always get answered.